Merrick

Triple risers...

Gawd, where was I on that post, guess it just didn't interest me at the time, but I missed it. Thanks Remi...
Well Brandon, as you know I've been thinking about getting some new gear, & I've been scheming ways of saving a little $$$. So, I thought I'd get a new container & reserve, but buy a used canopy. There's a Sabre 170 for sale on the enclave that's pretty cheap for it's # of jumps, and it says that it comes with French Triple Risers.... which would bring up another question: How much of a difference would they make on a Sabre 170.... it's not exactly a super-swooper, & I'd only be loading it at about 1.35:1? Just didn't know if I decided to get something like that if I should just tell him to keep them (hell, I don't even know if the canopy's still available)... they sound like a packing nightmare to me.
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Triple risers, hmm!
Didn't we discuss triple risers last week?
I have a pair on one of my rigs, but no pictures.
Triple risers have extra risers solely for the steering lines. Most of them also have an extra brake locking loop sewn to the middle riser. This extra loop - similar to tandems - helps keep things neat during the deployment sequence. This adds an extra step to the packing process.
The extra step in packing is only worth it if you are already extracting 95% of the performance from your canopy. Extracting 95% of the performance requires loosening your chest strap after opening, collapsing your slider, pulling it down to neck level, and using all controls: including front risers, rear risers, toggles and leg straps.
Doing all the above allows the canopy to spread from your hips instead of spreading from the slider. This allows the tail to flatten out a bit more, flattening glide, improving roll stability and reducing friction on control lines.
As for French risers ... perhaps they were referring to reversed 3-rings. On reversed 3-rings, the middle and small rings are sewn to the back side of the riser, so they lay against your shoulder and are hidden when the rig is packed. Aside from the aesthetic advantage, they also eliminate a wear point where the grommet penetrates regular 3-ring risers. Since Type 17 risers should be replaced every 600 or so jumps, I am not convinced that eliminating this obvious a wear point is that wise an idea.