3fLiEr

D-Bag Placement in Container

Most D-bags are placed in the container with the stowed lines at the bottom of the container - I was wondering if there are any difficulties that may arise from placing the stowed lines at the back of the tray - ie so the bridle lifts from the top (as the container lays) rather than the top side as normal.
Surely this would cut down the chances of the lines becoming a mess when pushing the D-bag in so the stowed lines are placed at the bottom side (as container lays) and thus cut down bag lock mals............. just a thought???
I was just wondering why the norm has been found to be the best method.
I hope this makes sense.
BSBD

Hi 3fLiEr,
Each manufacturer has their own ideas about the bag placement. With the Mirage the bag must be place with the lines toward the bottom of the container and bridle attachment grommet towards the top of the container. This is very important to insure proper deployment. The bag is also was not designed to lie in the main container in that orientation. The main container will not fill out properly and will look bulging.

I put my D-bag in the container with the lines toward the backpad and the bridle straight up, as you are packing. There is no way that you can rotate the bag to the "lines down" recommended configuration in my rig (Odyssey RS) as the pack tray is tiny. I have seen people killing themselves trying it, but my way is far more sanitary and definitely comes off my back a lot cleaner.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

The Wings manual says to pack large Wings containers with lines across the bottom and small Wings containers with lines against the backpad.
I think it depends upon the side profile of the main D-bag. If the D-bag is almost square - when viewed from the side - orientation should not be a problem. If the D-bag is tall, then definitely lay it flat with lines at the bottom.
When in doubt, referr to the manual. For example, older Centarus containers are packed with the lines against the mid wall) bottom of the reserve container), but I would not try this on most other containers because the lower corners are sewn shut for an inch or two and this might interfer with the pilotchute rotating and lifting the D-bag out of the container..
When in doubt, phone the manufacturer.

I packed my Javalin for a while with the lines facing the backpad and the bridle facing up. I did this because the canopy I was packing fit so tightly I could barely rotate the bag without making a mess of the lines. Now I rotate bag with the lines facing the bottom. It just gives me a cleaner pack job with my smaller canopy. I didn't have any problems with deployment using either method. However, I would stick with manufacturers recommendations just to be safe.