cobaltdan

cobalt / straight in landing

on a cobalt demo questionare form mike krouse wrote:
"i really like the way it flies ! its extremely stable yet fun to fly. the openings are very respectable for an elliptical. although, i doubt you could load on at 2:1 and comfortably land a straight in approach...it has a nice flare, thanks, you may be hearing from me soon" btw he has 200 jumps and jumped a 120 at a 1.5 loading.
Mike: straight in landings at high loadings on a cobalt are easy: but still require appropriate skill and technique:
i land my 95 loaded at 2.21 straight in all the time, without even taking a step ! i did my pro license with my 95, 10 peas landings in a row, all straight. i can send you video of lougi and mike stevens flying a cobalt 65 straight in to a no speed landing. lougi was loading at about 2.8.
this is a required skill, if you are jumping a canopy and loading that you can not land straight in every time, YOU ARE JUMPING THE WRONG SIZE CANOPY !
perhaps some of the other swoopa stahs could post their experiences and pointers.
sincerely,
dan
atair
ps. GOBBLE GOBBLE everyone!!!

As posted in another thread, I have landed a Competition Cobalt 65 loaded at 2.8 straight in. I normally jump a Cobalt 75 loaded at 2.4. I can land it safely in any direction I choose; upwind, downwind, crosswind. The safety comes from years of practice under small parachutes. Still, I have no problem with intermediates getting a one size smaller Cobalt than any other "new" main they might be considering.
A 2.0 wingload landing under a Cobalt is much less work than a 1.6 under say, a Stilleto. How do I know? Well, I jumped Stilletos (a 107 and a 97) for six years prior to my first Atair canopy (an Alpha 84). While they were fun, it was not uncommon for them to bowtie at the end of the surf if I tried to milk every last foot out of the surf. Bottom line is that you cannot compare wingloads straight across on different airfoils.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

When you say straight in is that with no riser input at all and a long final? I can do it on my PD 190 but it isn't pretty and last time a surfed (On the ground in dirt, not under the canopy) for about 20 feet and bloodied up one hand as I held myself up. I always at least ride the front risers. Of course, it is F-111 and I have to do something to induce some flare power!!!
"Shut up Dummy!"- Fred G Sanford

"Are you suggesting that you can't land your PD190 on a straight in approach?"
On a no wind day it can be pretty tough. It doesn't take but 5-10 knts wind and I can land it easily straight in. With no wind it just runs out of flare long before I can "Shut Down" the canopy. I.E. I end up doing a lot of running or "Dirt Surfing" to slow down. If I use the risers, even just straight in on the fronts, it gives me the extra speed and flare power I need to surf a little and then shut it down at the end without a bunch of running. I'm pretty sure this has a lot to do with the 1.3:1 wing loading on F-111. So, to answer your question. No I really can't land "straight in" on a no wind day.
"Shut up Dummy!"- Fred G Sanford

freeflir29,
you might want to seriously consider:
>>> a different canopy <<<
i.e. a zp design and perhaps some coaching. it might be your canopy but for reference i load my reserves over 2:1 they probably do not have as many jumps on them as your main but i have no problem landing them in any manner.
again i strongly feel you need to be able to land your main safely straight in, turned in, down wind, cross wind, etc... if you cant the problem is either skill, equipment or both and >must< be fixed.

sincerely,
dan
atair

Dan is exactly right. I have never jumped a cobalt, but I have never jumped a canopy I could not land straight in with no riser input. I have jumped up to a 2.6 to one wing loading. It does require more skill the higher you go in wing loading, but if you can not land the canopy straight in you don't need to be jumping it. I have never jumped a cobalt but i have jumped heavily loaded Stillettos, crossfires, FX's, and a few others. Any are capable of landing at over 2 to 1 straight in. I see many people with poor flare technique that causes them to not produce much lift on landing.
William