fonz

Gear advice needed

I'm about ready to buy myself some equipment. I probably won't have the money for a rig yet, but I should be able to afford the other stuff, e.g. jumpsuit, altimeter etc.
Normally, I'd start asking questions on my DZ, but since it's been closed for the winter (>:(dammit>:(dammit>:(dammit>:(!) that's not much of an option any more and I could really use some advice.
First, I'm having a look at the Digitude altimeter.
How fragile/robust is it? Can you clearly read the display under all circumstances e.g. clouds, bright sunlight, through goggles with a dark (smoke) lens? Other experiences?I've been reading some old posts and all I found out is that the Digitude is lightweight and has a light.
If it's not gonna be a Digitude, I'll go with the Alti-III. I just found out that Square1 offers a tie-dye version. Sounds really cool B|
My second point concerns jumpsuits and helmets.
Can you do freeflying with a suit that has grippers (e.g. a Tony Pit Special) and vice versa can you do (basic) RW with a freefly suit? Are there any jumpsuits that are suitable for both RW and freeflying?Same question for helmets.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven

When I was first getting started, I bought a Digitude. I have had to have the lcd replaced once after a rather violent raft dive. Altitude Concepts did a pretty good job getting it fixed and sent back to me. It's easy to read, even on those late sunset jumps. And I'm almost always wearing tinted goggles. If you do get a Digitude, be sure to keep an extra AA battery in your gear bag. They last forever, but you'd hate to have to run into town to get a battery in the middle of a day. (They have a "Low Bat" light as well, but the first time you forget to shut it off after a jump, your battery is probably drained)
Speaking of goggles - I have 3 pairs. 2 tinted, and one clear. Stuff seems to happen to goggles, they get sat on, lost, lense pops out, whatever. And you don't have to pay $40 for goggles. Look for "Motorcycle" goggles. You can usually get them for $10, and they work just as well as "skydiving" goggles. And keep a clear pair around for thsoe late sunset loads or night jumps.
For a jumpsuit, if you can't find something used, I'd recommend getting something cheap. My first jumpsuit was a Tony Suit. A very very plain Tony Suit. It was cheap, kept my clothes clean, and I could do any type of flying in it. It didn't even have grippers, so RW was a little difficult, but it still worked. Once you figure out what type of flying you're going to do most, then go out and buy yourself a fancy expensive suit. I ended up buying a really nice (expensive) freefly suit, since that's what I do most of the time. Then I got a great deal (cheap) on a stock RW suit.
Helmets are more of a personal choice - any helmet will work. I started with a mindwarp, because I knew I was going to eventually want to put a camera on it. I also don't really like full face helmets, I like to feel and hear the wind. People with glasses or contacts seem to like the fullface better, and yes, you can still freefly in them. If you're looking to save money, a Pro-Tec is nice, and probably has the best impact protection of any other "skydiving" helmet out there. Again, get used if you can to really save money.
Even though we all know the most important thing in skydiving is to look good, don't spend too much $$ right now to do that. You might just end up replacing everything in a year or so anyway, once you figure out what you want to do, and you get that new custom colored rig and main. :D
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine, in a bag

when I first got gear, I bought a used Flitesuit, a used Altimiter, and a used pro-tec. 4 years later, I still have the same equipment. Don't feel the need to go out and buy all new gear, all at once, unless you've got gobs of cash to spend.
Good luck, and blue skies!

I like an analog face altimeter, but that's just my personal bias. I've had good luck with the Robnik Sapphire - I like the bigger face - but I would also buy an FT50 or Alti 3. Oh, and I happen to know that Square 1 is currently out of stock of the tiedyed one ;)
I'd recommend getting an RW suit for belly flying and a freefly suit for freeflying. Will make learning each discipline much easier if you're using a suit designed for that type of flying and your body weight and size.
As for helmets, I use an open face "freefly" helmet for all my jumps, belly or freefly. I like it for RW because I can hear the count and I enjoy the feeling of the wind in my face. I'm also a bit claustrophobic; the one jump I did on a full face I was kind of uncomfortable with the shield in front of my face.
pull and flare,
lisa

A couple more questions about the Digitude:
There seems to be a pro model that shows 10 ft. increments.
Sounds nice but ehm, are there situations in which you really need that kind of accuracy?
How is the Digitude's accuracy when you're close to the ground?
The altimeters that I wore as a student seem to show significant deviations when you got below, say, 500 ft. or so.
I see that the Digitude is available in black and blue only. Does anyone have any experience with coloring (e.g. painting) these things?
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven

The 10ft increments thing isn't that big of a deal, there's not a lot of time that you'd use it.
My digitude stays pretty accurate, even close to the ground. Of course, when you're getting that low, your eyeballs should be telling you how high you are anyway.
Check out AC's website http://www.altitudeconcepts.com
They have Imac-ish red, green, blue, and smoke.
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine, in a bag

I have a Digitude and an Alti-3.. They are both excellent altimeters, with great customer service backing 'em.. They are both very accurate.. You can't go wrong with either one..
As for the jumpsuits....I use a freefly suit for everything.. I have an RW suit that I bought when I first started jumping, but rarely use it.....it's a fast suit - too fast for recreational RW.. My freefly suit gives me a good fall rate range.. The only thing people whine about when I do RW is that I don't have any grips on it..
Mike