Bricki

What canopy to choose?

Hi,
I'm from germany so sorry for my english :-))
I'm looking for a new canopy and because you have much much more skydivers in US maybe you have a good suggestion.
I've started jumping in 2000 and have currently 200 jumps in my records. Today I'm jumping a Paratec Quadra 190, which is a 9 cell ZP rectangle canopy. Some similar to a sabre.
I've lost nearly 30 lbs of weight so I' jumping this canopy with a wing loading of about 1,04.
I've absolutely no problems to land this canopy (of course!), either if its windy (crosswind) or during nightjumps!
Now I'm thinking of a new canopy. My local rigger (who knows me best) suggests a Stilleto 150, another rigger says "Well, a Sabre2 will be better for you". And If I ask my fellow jumpers, then you'll hear "Crossfire, Fandango, Spectre" or other names.
During Freefall my passion is most freefly, sometimes videographer and I'll try to skysurf beginning of next season.
Now it's your turn!
Any suggestion is welcome.
Thanks and be safe
Peter

I wont get into the wingload thing (150 sq ft sounds right, and if people who know you suggested it, should be fine!)
As far as which brand, PD is pretty expensive in Europe. You migh want to look into Parachute de France. Their Electra (sabre like I think, allthough it may be constructed of F111 for the bottom skin, and ZP for top skin) or Springo (Stileto like) are, from what my rigger said, lot less expensive in europe....
Remi
Muff 914

I wouldn't recommend a Stiletto if you plan to skysurf; only because the openings can be unpredictable. Last thing you want with a board on your feet is to have unrecoverable line twists.

Personally I love the Spectre, but I'm pretty boring and conservative when it comes to canopies. ;)
I haven't jumped one yet but I've heard nothing but good things about the Sabre2. From what I've heard the openings are slow and sweet, landings are surfy and it has an even better glide ratio than the original Sabre.
You might also check out the Cobalt and Safire. Highly recommend demoing what you are interested in before you buy; we can all tell you what we like but you'll be happiest in the long run if you jump several different canopies and decide which you like best.
pull and flare,
lisa

I wouldn't recommend a Stiletto if you plan to skysurf

Agreed. Personally, I would avoid that or any tri-cell for skysurfing because of the possibility of off-heading or other erratic openings, though I know people who get away with it.

You might also check out the Cobalt and Safire

Both good choices and I believe you can get decent deals on both overseas.

Highly recommend demoing what you are interested in before you buy

Absolutely. There are plenty of dropzones in Europe nowadays and some pretty good boogies too! Most regional gear vendors will normally be in attendance.
Good luck,
Chuck
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Hi everybody,
last Saturday I had the chance to jump the new Sabre2 in 170 and 150 sqft. I'm really impressed by this canopy and I guess, this will be my next main.
The openings are really sweet, soft and on heading. On the other hand the Sabre2 150 (flown with a wing loading of about 1.4 is quite fast in making turns. The canopy reacts immediately during flaring.
Thanks to all for your comments.
Peter (Bricki)

Hi Peter,
First: going from a Sabre-clone 190 to a Stiletto 150 seems like a pretty radical step to me. Of course, it's your ass hanging under the canopy and you have more experience than I do...
Second: when you go skysurfing, make sure to get competent coaching. Don't simply start jumping with a board all by yourself!
Good luck,
Alphons

Hallo Alphons,
thank you for your comments. Choosing a Stilleto 150 would be a huge step, you're right!
I'm currently playing around with a Sabre2 150. I think, within the next few jumps the decision will be made.
For Skysurfing I'm happy to be trained by the current female vice world champion in Skysurfing.
Take care,
Peter

Peter: are there lots of the German company canopies in germany (the company that builds the Next container.. cant remember the name now,,,,)? Just curious
PS:

I'm happy to be trained by the current female vice world champion

that could be taken SO out of context... lol
yes, I know, my mind is in the gutter......
Remi
Muff 914

Hi Remi,
okay - It's hard for me to write english in a way, that you native speakers will understand. So I don't know if I made a mistake in using the right words or if it's just the way, everyone would reply this also in german because of his (or her) mind.
If it's just kidding, okay. I'm talking about SKYSURFING. For all other purposes I've nicknames for other forums or chatrooms ;-))
As far as I know there's only one company in Germany for Canopies and Containers. It's the company Paratec. These guys are selling the Next container (I own such a container), main and reserve canopies. You can find more information in the Web at http://www.paratec.de All informations are also available in english
Take care,
Peter

Hi Remi,
yes, the Paratec canopies are (at least at the DZs I know) popular. The most seen canopy is the Quadra or the Quadra V-Tec (where you can buy another line set with other trim characteristics). The Fandango (half elliptical) is not so popular. I know one who is jumping the Fandango and he calls his canopy the "surprise canopy", because of it's unpredictable openings.
But the Paratec containers (Next) are in general more popular than the Paratec canopies.
Take care,
Peter

Bricki
You might want to condsider a Springo as mentioned previously - these are elliptical canopies sometimes put in the same bracket as the Stiletto but slightly less radical. I jump a 140, have sweet openings and don't have the worry of having to chop due to a couple of twists like Stilleto jumpers may have to.
I've only experienced twists once on this canopy and the canopy stayed on heading while I kicked them both out.
I have a friend who had about 8 or 9 twists (due to new packer) and he was able to kick them all out (all be it he did lose a fair bit of altitude).
And if you're worried about going too small they also make it in the 160 size.
I must add a disclaimer saying I don't know who you are, what jump numbers you have or anything else about you, but if you are thinking of going elliptical then the Springo is another option.