fonz

Advice needed on canopy change

Recently, I had to switch from a PD Navigator 240 to a Sabre 170.
Needless to say, there's a significant difference in performance,
behaviour and handling between these two canopies.
Can somebody give me some advice on how the Sabre compares to the
Navigator? It seems like the Sabre definately requires a different flaring
technique.
Blue skies,
Alphons

I am relatively new with only 30 jumps, but I too am going from a Nav 280 to a Sabre 260. The advice I have been given is that the Sabre is less forgiving to low turns. It is more high performance, but not so much so that it is out of the skill range of novice jumpers. Also, with the decrease in canopy size (which is much greater in your case) you will come in faster and tend to swoop more when you flare. If you are new like me, you might want to wear a radio again for a few jumps.
But I’m definitely no expert; I will be interested to hear what the more experienced jumpers have to say.
-Larry

Morning, Fonz....
Check with your instructor. If the one you worked with most is not there, ask Bret Townley or Moley. Since Dennis left, they are the co-chief instructors at Perris. Get their guidance, and their advice. Have them set something up where you can step it down a little less drastically.
As to the flare, that's what the canopy control check is for. Try pulling high a few times, and really find out what the canopy does at flare time way up in the sky. I found, for example, that the Spectre has a huge recovery arc. Which, had I found out only at flare time, would have been a serious problem.
Just my .02, though, you have more experience than me. But your instructors have the best experience. Talk to them. That's what they're there for.
ciels-
M
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

Fonz,
Get on the demo program at Square One. Those good ladies - and the fabulous furry Frank - will help you step down gradually in canopy size.
They will also try to sell you a video - produced by Skydive University - called "Basic Canopy Flight." Buy the video. Study the BCF textbook in detail. Work through the exercises in BCF. And ask the fine Skydive U. coaches for their advice on learning the envelope of a new canopy. Is Liticia still coaching for Skydive U?
Sorry to hear that Dennis moved on.
Sorry to hear that Ziggy moved on.
As the DZ turns.
riggerrob

Hey, Rob
Yes, Leticia is still coaching at SD.U., along with Ulie. Dennis is still around, just not as the head instructor (I'm not sure if he is instructing, though). I don't know who Ziggy is, but the girls (Blue, Catherine, Keeley and whatsername again) as well as Frank are still there. They are really excellent.
Yeah, a great group of folks at Perris. :)ciels-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

riggerrob> Get on the demo program at Square One.
I'd love to. But living in the Netherlands makes that virtually impossible.
Same story of course for Skydive U.
I'll definately look into the BCF. Thanks for the suggestion.
> Sorry to hear that Ziggy moved on.
Aw. I'm sorry too. He's a nice guy.
Blue skies,
Alphons