landmissle

Precision Aerodynamics Nitron

Hi folks,
I plan on demo-ing PA's Nitron canopy. Probably a 150 with a wing loading of about 1.4. Has anyone out there jumped this particular canopy. I'm most interested in finding out how the Nitron compares to a Cobalt or Crossfire since these two canopies are the most likely candidates to beat on my credit card a little bit more. Would love to hear your impressions (good/bad/or otherwise) on the Nitron.
Feet up, heads down,
Landmissle

I didn't realize they were giving out demos yet. If they are I think you will have a hard time finding anyone who has jumped it because they are so new. I would suggest letting a few people try them out first so you can get an idea about how they fly. It will probably be a good canopy but I would hate to be the first one to find out it had a lot steeper dive than expected or some other performance differences that could hurt you. Or even worse, picture this. Can you imagine the people that learned the hard way about the Nova. My suggestion, let someone else be the crash test dummy. If you do try it out, please let us know so you can be our crash test dummy.

they had nitron demos at the richmond boogie. i did not get the chance to fly one, however, i did talk to someone who did. they fly a crossfire, like myself, and they told me that i would not be happy with the nitron. it had the snappy turns but had a much slower forward speed. the downward speed they thought was about the same. other than that i really cant help since this was second hand as it is.
jaybird

the nitron is the same thing as the european nitro which is a copy of the jalepino (with different lines).
we built the prototype nitro's for profil about 4 years ago. they just licensed the paterns to precision.
our opinion was that it just doesn't compare to the cobalt, hence we were not interested in continuing to produce them. the ones sold in europe i believe are now manufactured in shri lanka.
definately try one, then try the cobalt & crossfire and post your opinion.
sincerely,
dan
atair

I jumped a Nitron 150 load 1.3 to 1. I really shouldn't have been flying it but I did and here are my impressions. I opened with line twists and the canopy maintained level flight while I kicked out. No violent turns or dives while getting the line twists out. In toggle turns the canopy was snappy and responsive without feeling twitchy. Front riser pressure was moderate and increased as the dive increased. The forward speed on this canopy does appear to be slow, for its size, but it could be my persception. The flare on this canopy is strong and seemed to have good bottom end

Just to add a bit to Dan Preston's description:
Gunter Worlein attempted to market them under his "winchester technology" re-labeling business as the "Vortex". There was never so much as even a picture, just a crude drawing showing the "fins" on top and mesh over the end cells. In real life, the fins are pretty unattractive and I seriously doubt that they add to the aerodynamics in a positive manner. I saw the Danish team (is that right, Dan) jumping them at CSS this Easter. They dive steepish and turn fine, but had short surfs.
Still, try the thing and see what you think. We all know that everyone has different tastes and what I dislike might really freak you out and make you buy one. Don't even think about it, though, till you try both of the other options you mentioned (Cobalt and Crossfire). Both are superior canopies in my experience.
Chuck
Competiton Cobalt 65 and H-Mod Cobalt 75 driver