jc07025

Choosing a DZ

Hi new member here with a question.

I will be heading down from Canada to the southern states this winter to do my AFF and as many more jumps as I can fit.

When picking a DZ I am looking at weather, does it have a tunnel, is it open 7 days a week, can I camp there, how far is the beer store etc... but I have a question about the tempo at different DZs.

I want to jump as much as possible, should I go for the biggest place I can find that will have the most loads going all day? Or will that just get me lost in the crowds of licensed jumpers and tandems and bounced between instructors. Is there a happy medium where there are enough planes going throughout the day to get jumps in, but it is slow enough I can have a consistent instructor and not get crowded out?

If so how would I find out if a DZ fits that description, any recommendations? (I'm mainly looking at FL but will consider AZ) I'm going late November to mid December, will everywhere be really busy in FL?

Thanks for your time!

Can't beat Eloy for tunnel proximity for sure...Orlando isn't bad if you don't mind driving ~1hr ZHills / Deland...Sebastian ~1.5hrs.

Plenty of lift in FL during the season (plus the summer weather is gone now and it is fantastic here).

There are CSPA ticket holders in ZHills if you want the Canadian program vice the USPA. Dunno about Deland / Sebastian. Sebas has the least amount of "regular" winter lift but they do have the Invasion...

CA/FL/AZ...all fit your requirements for beer / camping / turbines / instruction etc. I have my preference, obviously...but I also live in Tampa. :p