jhus

Cypres Currency

Could someone tell me a little about keeping a Cypres up to date. First how often do you replace the batteries and how much do new batteries cost. Second, about how much does a 4 year check cost, and does Cypres do this themselves or can a rigger do it for you? Thanks,
Jhus

To keep up with Cypres maintenance, you have to replace the batteries every 2 years. This can be done by your local rigger and costs $70 to $100 depending upon international monetary exchange rates.
When it is 4 years and 8 years old, it goes back to the factory for inspection. All Cypri - what is the plural anyways? - in the Western Hemisphere go to SSK in Ohio for inspections, all the rest of them return to Airtec's factory in Germany. Inspections cost about US$150 plus shipping.
Technically, anyone can remove a Cpres from a rig, but it must be installed by a licensed parachute rigger.
Finally, when a Cypres reaches 12 years old it is scrap. SSK has promised some sort of rebate when you trade in your 12-year-old Cypres, but they have not published any dollar figures yet.

I am looking at purchasing a used cypres. If someone tells me that they have just had the batteries replaced, or they have had the 4 year check done, is there a way for me to verify that this is true? Is there some kind of log sheet that goes with the unit, or do I just have to trust the person I am buying from?
Jhus

That brings up an interesting question. Does SSK or Airtek keep serial number records so that you can check the background of a particular unit before buying? There are some very unscrupulous people in the world and I wouldnt always be inclined to trust my life to a small piece of paper with scribbling on it. Not that I own a Cypress....yet....

"To keep up with Cypres maintenance, you have to replace the batteries every 2 years."
I'll just add a little detail to this. According to the manual it should be changed after 2 years, 500 jumps, or when the self test stops at 8998 or 8999 (voltage too low), whichever comes first.
alan

I know an experienced jumper (6000+ jumps) and rigger who keeps his Cypres batteries until 4 years or when the warning code comes on.
He obviously doesn't do this with other people's rigs nor does he advise other people to do the same for their own rigs.
He just feels safe enough based on the unit's self-test each time he turns it on. I guess I'd be pretty happy with that, but I'd be concerned about the batteries leaking when they get old.
Any thoughts? Is this a common practice? It's obviously a greater risk than following the manufacturer's recommendation, but how many of us replace our mini-risers every 200 jumps as recommended?
Geoff

Every time Cypres batteries are replaced, the rigger is supposed to record the date on a chart inside the battery compartment. He is also supposed to affix a new orange label - with the new date - on the outside of the box. Finally, he is supposed to record his work on the reserve packing data card. Any fewer written records are a violation of Federal Air Regulations.
As for the Rigger who keeps the same set of batteries in his personal Cypres for 4 years. Again, this is a violation of Federal Air Regulations. The FAA recently slapped a rigger for "failing to follow manufacturers' instructions." Airtec reminds us to replace old batteries becasue old battereis are far more likely to leak.
Legalities aside, remember that a woman died with 3 1/2 year old Cypres batteries on her back!
As for calculating the price of used Cypri ...here is one formula: the last time I did the calculations, a new Cypres cost US$1200. Expect it to depreciate at $100/year so it is worth $0 at 12 years old. These values only hold if you have followed the maintenance schedule. Overdue batteries or missed inspections reduce the value of used Cypri.