ramon

Attn: swoopers Vengance...Woo Hoo!

On whim I got a vengance 135 demo (exit weight 220 1.63 load).
Put 8 jumps on it this weekend. What a fun overlooked canopy. Granted this canopy wants to dive and is probably better geared for turf surfing as opposed to being being an allround canopy.
I was a little scared landing straight in the first time because someone at my DZ was hurt on one (stilleto hooker, hurt on first vengance jump), but it had a lot of flare power.
This is a nice canopy. On my 7th jump I did a snap 180 hook, followed by double front from about 350', I was a little high, but since the canopy continues to dive a little after recovery (negative recovery arc) I maintained my speed and landed nicely.
This canopy sure flies BIG at the end of the swoop, it has bottom end flare to shut the canopy down with only a few steps taken after a nice little surf.
It is ground hungry though and if the traffic is a little heavy I get into the landing pattern and avoid the swoop lane until next time.
Right now I like it much better than the Crossfire 129 I tried, but that is probably because I only put one jump on the crossfire and Icarus canopies are already smaller than PDs and I think I was a little scared on the Icarus.
Openings a brisk, soft and on heading with the occasional dive due to asymetrical end cell closures. Toggle turns are much more brisk than say.. a samurai... almost as snappy as a stilleto.
I really felt in control of this canopy everything was smooth. I did not think I was going to be this impressed.
After I put another 20 jumps on it I may write a review If I feel competent enough to explain it's charecterisitics.
fun fun fun
P.S. Hooking or other high performance landings are dangerous and should be planned with lots of outs. I only do a radical maneuver if I preplanned it before the skydive and the traffic, wind patterns are right. Otherwise I get in the pattern and carve in or land straight in with the F111s :D
bloo skies
ramon

Well I just was jumping a 120 vengance. And I am not as impressed. Exit weight at 195 wing load 1.62. It flew ok, turn weren't as nice as crossfire or cobalt. It was very ground hungry and the flare was there but i didn't like how it starts so low in the control range. I have it to my shoulders before it will even start to flare. It seems like it has a 2 stage flare on it. I prefer a single smooth flare.
These are just my opinions,
Thanx.
-Nums

the flare was there but i didn't like how it starts so low in the control range

Actually, almost every single performance parachute out, except the Stilleto, flares out deep into the control range. That is the way I prefer it, and back when I was jumping a Stiletto I let my lower control lines out six inches just so I could tollerate it. I had the 2nd Vengeance in this area (a 97 which was too big for me), and sold it after 10 jumps because it really didn't do anything for me either. Yes, it surfs slightly better than a Stiletto, but not nearly as far as the Alpha, then VX, then Cobalts that I replaced it with. Granted, this is just my opinion. I "liked" the vengeance, but not so much that I wanted to keep it. My thoughts were this: If I am going to get canopy that dives like a VX/FX/Velocity (which the Vengeance does), then I want one that surfs as far (which the Vengeance certainly does not).
Chuck

I think (I'm pretty sure actually). That starting with the Crossfire, Icarus has caved in to the PD measurement system. So any comparisons in wing loading should now be similar. Put more jumps on teh crossfire you'll be glad you did

I'll definitely try the crossfire again.
I'm just having a lot of fun with the ground rush from the vengeance, and I am not a big stilleto fan.
I'm getting a Cobalt next and predict I will try to pick up a used Alpha to replace my Space.
bloo ones
ramon

I put about 20 jumps total on it in various conditions wind, no wind, a little downwind (holy f**k), ride the brakes ,carves and hard 180 snap hooks.
Anyway since I do not have many jumps on other canopies at this loading, I will wait till I can get a cobalt 135 and a few more on a crossfire 129 before I post any review.
I do not want it to be slanted and ignorant, as I loved this canopy, but the Cobalt and Crossfire may amaze me also.
bloo skies
ramon
P.S. sure was fun and it demanded my respect.