Donna

Helmets

I just have a Protec and it's bulky and I'm looking at getting something new and would like to hear anyone's opinions on other helmets. I don't want to get a fullface helmet at this time. Maybe later on if I get more into RW I will but at this point I just want an openfaced one.
Thanks for any help!
Skies,
D :P

Thanks, PT!!
I've been leaning towards the Bonehead Mindwarp but wish they hadn't just changed the design to an outside audible altimeter. Anyone know of any others that have the pocket for them on the inside?
Skies,
D :P

I just got myself a Gath hat, i put on in about 20 jumps and i'm very happy with it so far, it fits great, very snug and it's also pretty cheap
I also tried a bonehead which is awesome too probably even batter then the gath cuz it have a pocket for a dytter, but it's more expensive then a gath
Free Skies,
Omri :S

The more I read and think about this, the more I realize what a weak area this is in our sport.
There are no standards, and, I suspect, little or no real-world testing. Helmets that have this advantage, namely race and other vehicle helmets, don't take into account how they would be used by skydivers (weight, line catch points, vertical visibility).
Seems like there is an opportunity for someone to break open the market and make $$$. At least, the current leading manufacturers could provide us some test data!
Carl

Anyone know of any others that have the pocket for them on the inside?

The Aviator(www.arrowdynamics.com) has an internal.. The pictures of it you see in ads in magazines are the old model - the new model has a molded internal pocket.. I think the price went up $20 too.. Also, the Velocity(www.pia.com/skydance) by Skydance Photography has a molded internal pocket.. I have a Velocity.. I liked the Aviator too, but the Velocity seemed a better camera helmet than the Aviator.. The Velocity is not strictly a camera helmet - it is an open face that is upgradeable(with the addition of a side or top mount) to a camera helmet.. Then again, just about anything can be made a camera helmet these days.. Also, if you can find somebody that's got a Mindwarp from last year, it will have a molded internal pocket.. They just changed it this year I believe..
Mike

Actually, you can get a Bonehead Mindwarp derivative that will still fit an internal audible. It is the one they make for waterskiing (jumping and speed skiing). While not "technically" an internal dytter pocket like the old Mindwarp had, it will definitely fit an audible on both sides. It also has a goggle keeper on the back.
Chuck