jtval

b.a.s.e. rig

is there i difference between a b.a.s.e. rig and a skydive rig. i believe that there is but what are the differences?
i was talking about this the other day with a friend but we aren't sure.
can any one hook me up with an answer? blues
have fun, live free, SKYDIVE
JT

Lots of info at http://www.blincmagazine.comand its links.
Basically, a BASE rig has a single canopy (OK there are a couple of designs with two) - no reserve, or perhaps more accurately no main, as a BASE canopy is much more like a large skydiving reserve both in construction and in the way it's packed.
Most BASE rigs are closed by velcro rather than a pin, have a long bridle, and a larger pilot chute, depending on the delay. Normally, they have a mesh slider or no slider at all for a fast deployment at low airspeed. There are many, many, additional small but important differences.
BASE is definitely not just a variation of skydiving, neither the equipment used nor the skills needed.
Geoff

hey thanks guys. we figured there'd only be one chute. but all the other stuff was not clear. thanks for the info.
blue skies.(high structures? ha ha)
jt
how do you get into B.A.S.E.? who makes the rigs etc etc.
i haven't had the chance to look into the links so if the answers are in there, please forgive me redundency!!!
have fun, live free, SKYDIVE
JT

Since most low altitude BASE jumps are done without d-bags or sliders, it is really easy for a steering line to flip over the top of the canopy. tailgates (from Basic Research) and neat packing can prevent most of these malfunctions, but BASE jumpers still like to be able to toss their toggles. They route steering lines outside of slider grommets and steering guide rings. They sew extra locking loops on the risers, similar to tandems. The locking eye on the steering line is pulled down through the steering guide ring and locked with the top end of the toggle, like normal. But if they let go of the toggles, the steering lines just trail behind the canopy. Zoo toggles - with straight metal pins - used to be fashionable, but I recently saw a new form of soft toggle that they claim works even better. Visit the BASE manufacturers' websites to view this week's fashion.