SpeedRacer

Becoming a packer at the DZ

So after I get better at packing my own rig, suppose I want to become a packer at my DZ?
1) I read that a packer (of mains) must be either the jumper who uses is, or a rigger. Or have a rigger take responsibility for your pack job :o! How do you arrange that, especially when you're new??
2) Related to the first question, people seem to have all sorts of different packing tips depending on the canopy, i.e., some types you really have to roll the nose tight to keep from getting a slammer, on others its not so critical.
How do you learn all this stuff BEFORE you can be allowed to pack for others?
Speed Racer
Brew Skies
Speed Racer
Brew Skies

As far as the person packing it- the new FARS really didnt change much but it seems everyone is cool with the "under direct supervision" - and everyone interprets that different. At my Dz you pretty much have to have permission or be let pack them by either the dzo or a rigger.
You learn different chutes as you go most of the time. If I'm not sure how to pack someones rig I'll ask how they want it done, and go from there. Its not so hard, most camopies nowa days you jusat leave the nose alone- even icarus Tandems-LOL
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

Watch quietly from the edge of the packing mat. Keep a little notebook about how much they rolled the nose on a Sabre 135, etc. And ask people why they use a specific packing technique. You will hear a wide variety of opinions. Just remember that opinions are like arm pits. Every skydiver has them, but some of them stink!