ramon

is this a good deal on Alpha or not?

If you like the colors, then it's a good deal. Don't be discouraged because the main is no longer in production. There is very little difference between the Alpha (actually called "Impulse" overseas) and the newer Cobalt. I loved by Alpha 84 about as much as I do my Cobalt 75 and 85. You can wingload a Cobalt slightly higher due to the rib construction, but they land about the same, which is to say OUTSTANDING.
Chuck

Do you know if atair will service alphas and Spaces, I have a Space 170 that opens hard every time...my crossfire 139 has a much bigger slider than my Space 170...and the openings are sweet every time...I would like to know if a bigger slider would fix the problem...
Thanks
Felipe

Hey Felipe,
I bought a Space 150 in October and it opens very softly (too softly ha ha).
Anyway, I met a gentleman here in Texas with a Space 170 and his opened hard as hell also. One time he passed out from the opening and woke up under canopy.
If I buy the Alpha I am taking the line trims and sizes immediately so that I can repair in the future. I'm not sure if Atair (USA) will mess with Alphas/Space, you might give Dan Preston a buzz.
I'm sure you read the manual,
1. small rubber bands, no tube stows.
2. 3"-4" line bites.
3. Lo porosity F-111 pilot chute (like it matters as much as size..ha ha)
4. 18" left after last line bite.
5. Roll nose 4 sides into center
6. stuff nose into center.
Also...old Sabre trick
7. roll the hell out of the tail.
My canopy....I leave the nose wide open...
Maybe your rigger can install a pocket on the slider.
good luck
ramon

Yes, of course a pocket slider would slow down your openings, but the problem I have seen with most "hard opening" Alpha/Space/Impulse canopies is when they are jumped with the wrong pilot chute. There REALLY is a difference in F-111 and zero-p, and size matters too. Gunter Worlein would not sell an Alpha or Space (the same canopy) without selling you a pilot chute with the canopy. Jim Cazer (Cazer ParaLoft) made the F-111 pilot chutes for him, but we have found that small zero-p ones work just as well. Large zero-p pilot chutes are a no-no on Atair mains; FX and VX Extremes, too.
Chuck

Excerpt from article:
Another way to reduce snatch force energy and the evils resulting from it, is to go with a smaller pilot chute. A smaller pilot chute will result in the bagged canopy reaching a slower speed relative to the jumper at last line stow release* This slower speed will result in lower slider stop line rebound energy. A smaller pilot chute will also lessen the chance of line dump.
Dave Brownell