rnicks

New jumper?

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but it might be helpful to have a forum dedicated to newer jumpers. Kinda like how basejumper.com does. I get extremely tired of reading snarky remarks made at newer jumpers who are asking questions. (albeit, the same questions over and over)

Lots of people like giving the new guys advice and some experienced jumpers like to read it. If there was a separate forum for such discussion, then the people who tire easily at this type of conversation wouldn't frequent that forum, hence reducing some of the complete crap that is given to new jumpers on here.

(I recently read a post by a longtime member to a newer jumper that said: "read more and post less" The new jumper's post count was 2. TWO!!)

I am of a very strong opinion that a dedicated Beginner forum encourages complacency. Thats exactly what happened on the BASE forum.

We are not basket weaving here, complacency kills. If someone is too dumb or lazy to figure out how to find appropriate info and decides to take an easy way out of asking for their hand to be held, then they should only skydive with an AFF instructor or strapped to a TI.

I remember very clearly being a new jumper and even back then the info was widely available. My good friend, a Master Rigger and a veteran of 42 years in the sport keeps saying "we pussified the sport and made it too easy", and i cant help but agree with hiim. When i see a guy celebrating his 100th jump and then ask for help packing his main i feel a bit nautious.

I don't know.. Is it a brand new main? Is it his first packjump on a Freepack CREW setup?

I sure as hell needed help with those - and I had over 200 jumps back then.

Easy to judge when you're not in possession of any facts. :ph34r::)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I don't know.. Is it a brand new main? Is it his first packjump on a Freepack CREW setup?

I sure as hell needed help with those - and I had over 200 jumps back then.

Easy to judge when you're not in possession of any facts. :ph34r::)

I fail to comprehend your first sentence, but I agree with you last one.
Still, I am of the opinion that a Beginner forum will do more harm than good.

I remember very clearly being a new jumper and even back then the info was widely available. My good friend, a Master Rigger and a veteran of 42 years in the sport keeps saying "we pussified the sport and made it too easy", and i cant help but agree with him

***You say back then info was widely available. How many students where involved in the sport then?

Would you be willing to answer the same question 15 times a week every week to each new student with the same level of understanding they are new without coping a" know it all attitude " or "your a dumbass" which would make the student seek information from others?

Answering the same question once or twice a week to a newbie > the amount of students being trained WAY BACK WHEN you were going through this. Or now 7 to 10 times a week when the amount of students going through training has increased

The general idea of asking many different people is so that the ONE opinion the new student accepts as fact is based on several opinions > In my mind the exact opposite of complacency if able to be based on several opinions

Glad they "pussyfied" the sport> :P