Eule

Lies, damn lies, and statistics - The shocking story continues!

Having trouble sleeping because you're thinking about all the jumps you're going to make this year? Well, this will put you to sleep for sure!

Attached are some statistics on dropzone.com. This is the same thing I posted last year, with updated data for 2006. Again, this was all done with information available to anyone who has a login on dropzone.com. I'm not a mod or sysadmin or otherwise able to access any data that "normal users" can't get.

Eule

Edit: Fixed a label in the attachment. The data was correct for 2006, but the label hadn't been updated from 2005 to 2006.
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

That's interesting stuff.

Can you identify those 13 most frequent users who produce 10% of all postings?

And it looks like 3 out of 4 people that log in post at least one message of their own. I would have thought the number of "lurkers" who read-only would have been higher than that.

You have a bright future ahead of you in the field of statistics.

There you go John. That's the break down from post numbers.

Gosh, Dave, you dropped to #2. That's what a full-time job will do to you. ;)

So this reflects total number of posts since the User-ID was created, I take it. And would therefore not necessarily reflect the most active user in the current year. Someone posting at a slow or moderate rate, who has just been around a long time, could be ranked above someone who posts far more messages per day, but is a relatively new user.

I see that when you pull up an individual user's profile, it breaks it down to an average number of messages per day.

I average about 5 messages per day, while you average 14. So that makes you almost three times as blabby as me. ;)

Can you identify those 13 most frequent users who produce 10% of all postings?

AggieDave provided the link. Interestingly, the 13 most prolific users as of January 2007 are the same as the 13 most prolific users as of January 2006, just with slightly different rankings.

And it looks like 3 out of 4 people that log in post at least one message of their own.

It's actually more like 1 in 3. I think you're talking about this:

Total Users                             59675

Users who have logged in at least once 45566
Users who have logged in since 1/1/2006 21974
Users who have at least one post 15554

and it's important to understand that the conditions aren't (always) cumulative. "Users who have at least one post" is since forever, not just since 1/1/2006.

You have a bright future ahead of you in the field of statistics.

I've heard _of_ (but not yet gotten) the TUB and TUG speeches, but this is the first time I've heard "take up statistics." :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Gosh, Dave, you dropped to #2. That's what a full-time job will do to you

I've actually never have been #1. I really don't care to be, I'm not trying to be. BillVon has shot up in the post numbers in this past year, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."