Cornholio

Site usage indicator ?

How about a site usage indicator to let people know when the site is under heavy stress ? Another forum I visit frequently has this option, and it's so discreet unless you're looking for it. It lets people know at a glance when the server is getting hammered with requests or whatever else is happening.

See attached image.

From their site:

The server load indicator is created from monitoring pages shown per second. It is calculated dynamically from the last few minutes of activity on the servers. Each block that is lit indicates 1/6th of what we consider to be maximum efficient load.

The figure in brackets indicates how many pages per minute we are currently printing.

If the 6 lit blocks are replaced by the word overload, our server may not produce all pages correctly, or maybe in some difficulty. In that case, please visit later when the problem has been corrected.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Hey,

Interesting idea...

I'd rather spend the time actually fixing the problem. A good indicator is to look at the number of people online... and at the number of proxy errors... hehehehe! ;)

We made some changes last night to optimize the performance for now while we're setting up a bunch of new servers.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I think there are very few people out there who are motivated solely by there post numbers. The titles was a different story. There may be some, but I'm not convinced that removing functionality like that from all users is worth the difference it will make. I don't think it will make a blip on the bandwidth usage if 20 people decide they now want to post 10 posts a day less because they can not see how much they've posted.

Thanks for the suggestion and I know where you're coming from.

Problem with small measures like that is it turns into "death by a thousand cuts". It's does not address the problem in a way that really makes an impact.

This is not that big a deal to me. I'll upgrade the servers. I don't want people to waste my bandwidth with rubbish but at the same time I want them to post and have fun, and I want them to be able to do that on a site that flies! B|

It's a growth problem. It's a good problem to have.
Safe swoops
Sangiro