JohnRich

Thread Lock Question

That's pretty much left to the discretion of the moderator who locks the thread (or other moderators, if they wish). There is no hard and fast policy related to when, or for how long, someone is banned from a forum.

Thanks for that info.

It just seems to me that when one person "goes bad" and a thread is locked, the action punishes everyone who was participating in the thread - even the innocent.

I've seen this happen several times now, and it seems like an odd way to handle things to me.

I would think that only the offender would be locked out, and the offensive message removed, and then allow everyone else to continue on with their discussion. That would be the most fair way to deal with it, in my opinion.

JohnRich
Veteran

Feb 25, 2004, 9:45 AM

Post #8 of 10 (60 views)
Copy Shortcut
Re: [foobar] Identity Status Suggestion [In reply to] Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To

Get everyone to vote for the top 25 (or however many you need) people on the site they trust. Not the most pofieint experts but he most trusted (yeah it's open to interpretation but so what). Give those 25 the power to bless anyone else's post as trusted. The more cumulative blessings you get from trusted posts the better you are.

I disagree. This would allow some people to use this new-found power to create negative marks for those they disagree with in personal debates. It's prime territory for abuse. We should not have a star chamber that judges each member here.

Just let everyone decide for themselves, using their own judgement, as to who can be trusted. When we see Bill Booth, we know we can trust him. When we see someone with no profile information at all, we can be suspicious of their comments.

If someone is spouting junk or bad advice, others can call him on it, and set matters straight.

Leave it up to each individual to decide for themself!

I do not understand why I was banned from the forum discussions when, if you weigh the two, more people have said mean and nasty things to me and about me than I ever said to or about anyone else! I do not understand why I was so heavily scrutinized, while others who said plenty of offensive things about me and others were not?! I even asked that one thread be locked out since it had turned into a burn Annie at the stake thread, which was not only personally attacking of me and my character, but was definitely off topic and in violation of the personal attack rule as well, which I assert others have most definitely violated more than I! Yet none of them were reprimanded!
There was even an entire thread started by Flyangel2 specifically about how I had no right to put my D# on my personal profile. The thread was very hurtful and ugly directed at me for her own personal issues. Then when I tried to post any defense of myself I got slammed and banned. That was not fair! I was called all kinds of nasty names by people for their own personal reasons and issues that had nothing to do with anything I said or did. Specifically I would draw your attention to the thread on cold sores, which is a real concern of mine. All I was asking in my poll was if anyone else was concerned about them what with all the kissing on the DZ. It was not directed at anyone, yet I was personally slaughtered for simply asking the question.
Also, I don't see why my putting my D# as 272 on my profile caused such controversy to begin with. Most of the people speaking out against me on that issue had not stated most of their own true to life info either on their profiles. At least I posted my real picture in my avatar. But even that I was accused of stealing off the internet in addition to so many saying I was not real! Would I have been equally justified to get on someone's case and make a tread slamming them for misrepresenting themselves as a wet cat? Where did Flyangel2 get off slamming my D# when her name is not even Flyangel2 to begin with? That same thing goes for many of the other girls and a couple guys who have personally attacked me.
I happen to know that one of the moderators does not like me for her own personal jealousy and in fact not only has she caused problems for me on this forum, but has spread around so many nasty rumors at DeLand, that I got numerous phone calls from angry people about things I never did or said. She also spread around DeLand that I was dangerous! She has caused all kinds of problems for me in my personal life and with my SO, simply for her own personal reasons that are not forum related. This is not fair not to mention simply cruel, mean spirited, and cold hearted. Why should a moderator be allowed to use her power on this forum to violate the personal attack rule in real life?!
Most of the threads I posted were valid concerns and issues that I wanted input on, yet so many specific people who seem to have a personal problem with me just turned them into personal attacks. But if you will notice, I did not attack back even though I wanted to. I did not want to get onto a name calling thing, so instead I just allowed them to make false assertions and be mean and just tried to make a funny and diffuse the situation instead. I should get a pat n the back for this rather than a global ban. Those other hurtful people are the ones who should be banned. I even sent PMs to all of my agressors trying to be their friend. I made a good friend in the BASE dude from the PDG thread. But some of the girls were less friendly and were clearly not interested in being friends. They then took thse personal issues to anything I posted on the forum making me look like the bad guy, which I was not! These are the bad people, not I with the olive branch and the out stretched arms who got slapped down!
I also don't understand why I was banned for being off topic when so many others do it so much that it even has a name for it, "hijacking threads" And my off topic discussions were not even that off topic!
It seems to me that I got blacklisted unfairly due to more personal issues of a few that were rather subjective and individual, and don't seem to be applied equally to all parties involved. If you are going to make rules and hang people who are perceived to have violated them shouldn't the same rules apply to everyone equally?
Rehab is for quitters.

I happen to know that one of the moderators does not like me for her own personal jealousy and in fact not only has she caused problems for me on this forum, but has spread around so many nasty rumors at DeLand

One of the forum rules on this site is to stay on topic to the topical forums. You again have broken one of the rules, yet you continue to have a problem with comprehending this. Normally, I would not break the rules either to answer you, but I am not going to take your accusations sitting down.

Annie, I have absolutely no jealously towards you whatsoever. I actually never had a second thought about you, good or bad, since the day I met you. That stopped when you logged on here and started questioning my integrity and posting falsehoods about what you assumed was my life. You also trash talked about other skydivers in Deland. You were warned very early on that this site was not created for that, but you continued. And now you can't understand why you were banned? :S

Do you really think that I'm the only one from Deland who reads the forums here? Believe me, your behavior and smack talking on here was the buzz around the whole dz over the weekend. When I spoke to Carl, it was because I asked him if he could get you to stop spreading lies about me to people in pm's here. That was the first time I had talked to him about it, but he had already heard plenty about what you've done here from other people who are just lurkers to the site.

Let me make one more thing perfectly clear. I never started a rumor about you in Deland that you are dangerous, I was told that you are dangerous by many people.

You have dug your own grave here. You need to stop pointing fingers at everyone else and look at your own behavior to see where the problem really lies. I am not jealous of you, because there is nothing for me to be jealous of.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Okay, that does it. When you start attacking friends I can no longer sit by and watch. I swore I wouldn't read any more of your trash, but this warrants a reply.

There was even an entire thread started by Flyangel2 specifically about how I had no right to put my D# on my personal profile.

Where did you see me name your name in that post? You need to go back and re-read.

I have told you once before, and I'll say it again, you have charged in here like some kind of bull in a china shop, I guess you didn't read this by Sangiro.

Grow up, and learn how to follow the basic rules of society. People are sick of your BS here, and you are wasting peoples time cause we have to skip over what you post.
I guess the best thing Sangiro could do is ban you all together from this site, but now that I have spoke my mind and broken one of the rules, I might get banned too, but it's worth it, to let you know how I feel.
How dare you even speak Andrea's name. She is one of the nicest, sweeties people on these forums, and you would be lucky for her to even give you a second thought. Why don't you just take your key board and unplug it from your computer and stay away.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Two points to Flyangel2.
Two points to SkyMama.
-1,298,739,876,093,864,561 points for Tink.

Annie, you really pegged it with your nickname on your profile. I've been around here a while, and I've seen people come and go, I know a troll when I see one. Few do it with as much, um, "consistency" and lack of style as you have.

If you have a problem, PM Sangiro. You know how to use PM's. Please exercise that option and keep the tripe off of the forums. I have no interest in your phobia of germs, your crippled neck because of your canopy (or was it the DZ???), and your inability to back up statements like "I was on lots of world records". If you were banned, isn't that something to think about? Why not listen to the people who banned you in the first place? We all learn...some learn harder than others, but they will eventually learn, too.

Deal with it. You've caused a stink, tink, and it's time for you to take a break.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I will just say one more thing then go away, I did not trash talk anyone at Deland. If you are talking about EM, who is the only one at DeLand I even mentioned besides Carl, she & her husband, JR, are very good friends of mine. We talk on the phone & email each other every day. I love her! It was not fair what may have been said at DeLand. Carl doesn't care nor want to hear about any of this. So don't waste your time telling him.
I think it was unfair that I got ganged up on. More negativity was said to and about me by you guys than I ever said about anyone!
I don't understand why I am any more at fault than any of you guys.
I love all you guys too! You are in my prayers.
Hugs-n-kisses!
Tink :)I would like to keep my PMs though they were mostly all filled with nice people saying nice things to and about me. They really helped brighten my spirits. I have not copied any of them but would like to so I can be able to keep in contact with them.
Rehab is for quitters.