ramon

reserve inspection

I'm looking for a reserve/gear inspection checklist. I heard there were some on the internet but I can't find any.
I have one in the Parachute Manual Vol II, but I was looking to see if any body ahd any more detailed ones or efficient ones.
bloo skies
ramon

Ramon,

Hope the attached helps get you started. (it is in MS Excel)

It is overkill for what you asked, but it has:
Sport System checklist
Pilot System checklist
Tandem checklist
Equipment Inventory lists

You will notice that at the end of each checklist there is a tool list of what I carry with me when working.

You should tweak it and make it your own. Some of my notes may not be appropriate for you (especially in the tool inventory). If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. If you (or anyone else) sees something I am missing, feedback is welcome.

Jim Wine
Sr Rigger since 1999 - back/seat/chest
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Hi!
Thanks for the very interesting Checklists!
Just curious: how long do you need for a comlete check of a sport rig (gear, reserve, aad and main)? And how long do you need for a standard repack (easy to pack - gear, no pop top or stuff like that)?
I'm rather a hobby-type rigger, doing less than 50 repacks a year. I'm doing only inspection and repacks, no sewing or complicated stuff. If I find anything or there is a certain bulletin I tell the guys on our DZ that they need to send their gears to a master rigger about 200 miles away.
Anyway, a standard I+R takes me usually about 3 hours and I'm interested in how long others need.
blue skies

I am also a part-time rigger, which has several advantages.

Most of my customers are pilots, and a pilot rig takes me ~1.5-2 hours. Most of that time is inspection, the rest is packing. A sport rig (without main) will take me about the same, but I am more likely to not be happy with little things like new closing loop lengths or bulk distribution. Redoing anything I don't like adds to that. (As I say I am quicker and more familiar with the quirks of the pilot rigs.)

As to sewing and other minor repairs, I do some that I am comfortable with, but am also quick to call the mfg or a local master and/or DPRE.

If you are not already, get yourself registered with the PIA rigger forum. (see www.pia.com) Not as quick a reply to items as here, but replies are screened and from trusted sources.

I take my rigging reserves like I did (do) packing my main. I was usually the slowest packing when I was a new jumper, but it WORKED, and that to me is much more important than the time taken. With reserves, how much more important.

Add a main inspection and you add ~30 minutes or more.

Hope you enjoy what you do ('cus the pay ain't worth the time ;) )

JW

Glad to hear I'm not _that_ slow...
Sometimes I'm too not happy with the outcome of my work, esp. with putting the reserve into the freebag and I start off again. Loop length is a another thing, but now I think I got the clue, the last few packjobs were pretty nice, good pressure.

On our DZ there are a lot of pilots who would like to get their reserves repacked, we have 2 guys who are doing this, but I don't. Als I have never seen a round parachute in the air so far, I don't feel comfortable with them. But this would be a little bit more money, as most jumpers are quite good friends and I don't charge them much.
For me it's packing season now, spring is coming!!!
blue skies

Dont ever pack anything that you are not comfortable doing. However, I found that after working with roundsfor a while is that I actually prefer packing them to ram-air.

I have seen one in the air... (see photo of me under one - attached) :)
What I have yet to see however is me landing one! :o (its in a 3-chute cut-a-way system)

They've always opened (knock wood) though.

Jim