TomAiello

User Feedback

Hi Sangiro,

Have you considered a feature that allows users to "rate" each other in some way? I was just thinking it might be a good way to:

1) Indicate to newbies who the people are that give good advice,
2) Allow subtle peer pressure to improve on-line courtesy.

A few examples from BLiNC (well, it is where I spend most of my on-line time):

1) Mick has designated some people as "Team", which serves as an indicator that (at least in Mick's opinion) their advice is generally sound, and they are good people for newbies to ask for help.
2) Their is a "user rating" feature that allows registered users to rate each other (see attachment). Unfortunately, the quantity of anonymous posting on that board makes this feature relatively useless. It might work better here, though.

Just a thought.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

rating.pdf

Well, HH has his "team" setup around him, the greenies, although I do like the rating idea, that could be used very well. HOWEVER, I can think of a couple posters here that happen to be fairly knowledgable, just not in a very tactful way sometimes that would give them a lower rating. Also, the rating system could be used incorrectly to sort of smear users sometimes.

(Although I like your idea and think it could be implemented quite effectively here, I wanted to play devil's advocate a bit to see if any bugs shake loose. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Tom,

I like the team idea... These forums have functionality that would allow me to implement that pretty easily. Let me think about that one a bit.

The ratings sounds like a good idea in principle... my only concern is that people abuse this. We have a much larger community here than BLINC. It's already quite a job to moderate all the Gear and Dropzone reviews for malicious posts.

This may end up being a lot of work for me with not much ROI for you guys.
Safe swoops
Sangiro