peek

Sigma main closing loop life

I was interested in some data from the field. (Yes, I am aware of what is in the manual. Yes, I just read it.)

How many jumps are some of you getting on your Sigma tandem main container closing loop before they are needing to be replaced? (Assume a conservative approach, replacing them if in doubt, not trying to squeeze in a few more jumps.)

Factory purchased loop or made locally by rigger?
Pullup cord type?
Etc.?

Anyone using a flat washer with some kind of knot rather than a "disc" like on the factory made loop?

Wish I had a solid # for you if I had to guess I would guess between 75-125 jumps. Using pack boy of silicone pull-up really extend the life. I make my own loops, using 1000# spectra so not shy about changing them.

croy

Wish I had a solid # for you if I had to guess I would guess between 75-125 jumps. Using pack boy of silicone pull-up really extend the life. I make my own loops, using 1000# spectra so not shy about changing them.

That is very helpful, thank you.
Anyone else?

wasatchrider

why are you looking for a number or what others use as a number?

Because I'm doing research for someone who is experiencing a short life on many of their loops. I know what the manufacturer suggests. I'm looking for data in the field.

I have found that the life is directly related to the packer. This year we've put a greater focus on neatness and I'm continuously offering suggestions on getting the canopy width and folds correct. We've got a great crew and this year I've changed about 1/2 the number of loops versus less neat packing where they had to really reef on the loop to close it.

Unfortunately I haven't been tracking jumps per rig but I know we're doing more tandems.

We use all UPT parts.

-Michael

Factory purchased loop or made locally by rigger?
Pullup cord type?
Etc.?

I would say we replace one every ~100-150 jumps. We do not keep records of that, so without documentation, I cannot give a better number.

We use the pullup tools and folks use Cypres Cord. I have heard that it required/recommended by the manufacturer, although I have yet to dig through the documentation and verify that. We only get maybe 20-30 packs not on the sigma closing loop, but on the loop on the pullup tool. I need to watch the packers and see why they take so much wear.
=========Shaun ==========