zelmo

motion sickness

on my first tandem jump i had a great time until i made a couple of spirals...and then almost puked. so on my second tandem jump, i asked the tm not to do that. i went out the door with more enthusiasm than i do most things, did 2 prcts, checked the alti a couple of times, gave 5-5, waved off, pulled, and as i looked up at the open canopy i felt like i had discovered my sport. until i almost puked again. i am really perplexed. i had no feeling of fear or anxiety during the second freefall and the canopy ride was extremely smooth and uneventful. i row a racing shell for exercise and have spent a fair amount of time in rough water and am not particularly prone to motion sickness. is this common among first timers? does one usually adapt? is there anything one can do on the ground to facilitate adaptation? should i take dramamine...or take up golf?

Your problem might be the tandem harness. I have heard cases where people have felt nauseous and faint in them. They seem to decrease circulation in some places and I know they are uncomfortable. Are you doing a tandem type AFP course? If so, how many more tandems in it? One? You might want to talk to your instructors about it. They might be able to loosen up leg straps etc. a bit after you are under canopy or just move onto an AFF type jump where you have your own harness.
Good luck and let us know how you make out!
Skies,
D :P

I thought of another thing. Have you been eating and drinking enough fluids before you go on your jump? Especially in the heat, people can get dehydrated waiting to jump and that can cause you to feel sick. Drink plenty of water and don't go on an empty stomach. At least have some crackers or something.
Skies,
D :P

Don't take up golf - why should that little tiny golfball have all the fun of flying? That fly time is your fly time (lol).
The only helpful hint I can give (and I am right there with you in student status) is, don't look down right away. It is really unnerving to see the ground when you are up there. Look to a stable point on the horizon, and then smile (why smiling works I haven't got a clue, but it does). Looking at a stable point on the horizon will work for a little while in the chute, but don't forget to watch the ground as you get set up to land.
I have had extreme vertigo in the plane, but once I got out the door, I had so much to do that I didn't have time to feel ill. And I have had that nausea, too, but it went away for me on the second jump.
Of course, please listen to everyone else who has more jumps than me - #4 yesterday - because I am so new I still get lost getting from the school to the loading area (lol)!
Michele

It might have something to do with your inner ear. Your sense of balance comes from your inner ear. As anyone that has made a free fall before can tell you, the severe altitude change in a short period of time can cause your ears to pop. But if your ears are plugged it can throw your sense of balance off making you throw up. Have you been sick recently? IT could just be that you ears are some what plugged for that illness or an allergy and you do not know it. If it continues you might want to check with you doctor.
hope this helps at all.
MAthmatiC
-Matt-
p.s. I used to get extremely sick in small planes and while driving in the car when I was younger. Now I am a pilot and have not had motion sickness in a long time. IT is almost like I grew out of it. I think your body adapts to those kinds of things, but it just takes time.

nausea on a tandem jump is very common,not too much you can do about it,all good suggestions so far,but they may, or may not help.
you can be sure tho,that you will not get sick under your own canopy,i know many skydivers who got sick on a tandem,but never when by themselves.
never heard of a driver getting carsick,maybe something similar.
keep going,
des

Yep 2 out of 3 tandems threw up 1st under canopy my second i was close and on my last i just spat a little bit off spew out when i landed i now have over 50 jumps and throw my canopy around and have yet to fell even slightly nausios once oyu are jumping yourself it should be fine

I know a very experienced tandem master (over 1000 tandem jumps) who says he gets nauseous every time he rides in the passenger position. His reasoning was because the harness held in a position where his head was about a foot farther away from the tandem master than his hips (leaning forward), so when they did turns it a was very unnatural feeling. Probably the only way to tell for sure is to do a solo AFF/IAD/SL jump and see if you have the same problems.