cpoxon

Fire guts planned Oregon tunnel

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101006/NEWS/10060324

By Anita Burke
Mail Tribune
Police and fire investigators are looking into the cause of a fire that gutted a planned indoor sky-diving business on Crater Lake Highway early Sunday.

On Tuesday, heavy equipment knocked down a precarious upper portion of a wall that loomed above the charred scene, possibly posing a danger to workers, Medford Fire Marshal Greg Kleinberg said. Once that wall was removed, investigators could get a closer look inside the burned-out shell that once was slated to become Indoor Sky Diving Adventure.

Kleinberg said they started with a bird's-eye view from the top of the department's ladder truck to get an overview of the scene. Then they went inside to start examining evidence up close.

The fire appears to have started on the second floor, the preliminary investigation indicates.

Now fire inspectors will try to narrow down the possible causes, examining electrical systems, appliances, heat sources and other equipment.

"It will take two to three days to look at and go through all the potential causes," Kleinberg said.

While the fire inspectors sift through the physical evidence, police are interviewing owners of the business and the building.

Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said a detective has been assigned to the case and will be working closely with the fire department, a common partnership, especially in large fires.

Kleinberg said the commercial building at 3811 Crater Lake Highway was recently appraised at $1.6 million. The fire destroyed about half of the structure, he said.

Little equipment was in the would-be indoor skydiving business, Kleinberg said. Only a swimming-pool-sized hole — now filled with grimy water that doused the flames — remains where a giant propeller was to have been installed to provide an updraft in which faux sky divers could hover, he said.

The building has space for three tenants and only one space was destroyed.

A firewall helped block the flames and limited the damage to Max Motorsports, an adjacent business that sells motorcycles, ATVs and scooters, Kleinberg said. The opposite end of the building was unharmed.

Zoller Properties LLC owns the building, according to Jackson County records. Garrett Zoller, real estate agent and principal in the business, has been unavailable for comment since the fire.

Reach reporter Anita Burke at 541-776-4485, or e-mail [email protected].

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I'm not seeing this location on the Skyventure list of tunnels: http://skyventure.com/tunnellocations/default.aspx Anyone know the design type of it? It seems to be way off the beaten path in terms of location since the nearest DZ is 100 miles away in either direction with the major population centers being 200-250 miles away.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm not trying to be too cynical; but given its location and the current state of the economy, I hope the Fire Marshal does a very thorough investigation. You can bet the insurance company that covers the loss will do so. This may be a pure accident. Or, it may be a story that bears watching.

No kidding, when the news reports a propeller in a pit down below. Probably worth burning the thing! ;)

[A]n updraft in which faux sky divers could hover...

They're faux because no self respecting sky diver would "hover" in something like that!
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

self respecting sky diver

There are self respecting skydivers?

Damn... Whats this sport coming to?:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The owner of the building's insurance claim was denied. Funny thing is this is the 3d property of his to mysteriously catch fire after the tenents had vacated it. The guys that were trying to put in the wind tunnel had moved out 3 weeks prior to the fire, the only thing left was the sign on the building "Oregon Indoor Skydiving Adventures".

I knew the guys trying to build it and had stopped by to see them one morning and Zoller told me they had moved everything out. He was pretty pissed about the vent installed in the roof.
Who Dares Wins

I don't think you knew them that well. That's not what happened. Zoller illegally locked them out to strong arm them for money and control of the business. From what I hear he's done that to every tenant in that building. I knew them well and was in and out of there.