shanehabb

Doing turns in the tunnel vs in freefall??

Before i did AFF my instructor recommended doing some time in the wind tunnel. So I did 10 minutes and it helped a lot the only thing was that the instructor at the wind tunnel taught me to do turns by just tilting my hands and then my AFF instructor taught me to raise one arm and drop the other slightly. Since I just started I don't wanna get any bad habits. What's the advantage/disadvantage to the 2 different ways of turning? What's your preference and why?

Thanks,
Shane

It really depends on how much time you have in the tunnel and how comfortable you are with the more "advanced" (read that as mantis) moves that you'd typically learn in the tunnel.

If you describe the amount of tunnel training you've had to your instructors and how those moves went for you, then they can accommodate what's safest for your training.

But I've seen both -

One student had a ton of tunnel mantis time and she was allowed to do AFF with that body position. She cruised through the freefall portions with ease flying mantis. (as expected)

Another just had a little bit of tunnel time and the instructors had that student learn as if he had no tunnel time flying boxman.

both were the right decision for the individual student. Both were still instructed to deploy in the big box man body position for more stability/safety.

I also know old timer instructors that won't accommodate outside learnng at all. They suck, but you can't really do much about that...

short answer - don't ask here - ask your instructors directly - and if you have tunnel training, give those details to the instructors.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Every input small or big should be learned at some time or another, never stick to the same position(hopefully arching/boxman first). If the plan is to hold a heading, hands may work for you(unless your body position is off), maybe more for turns, but dont bend the spine, but then later do!! HA HA HA!!
Dont worry about building bad habits, try to keep your self safe!! Then after AFF you will find what works for you, after you feel comfortable, change it a little, and get a little afurther away from that comfort spot. If you feel out of control, then go back to that position that makes you comfortable. Learn to safely build power, then know when and when not to use it!)
Listen to everyone!!! Then yourself.