seadream91

Raeford NC wind tunnel

Anyone familiar with the Raeford DZ and wind tunnel know if it's possible to get wind tunnel time with an instructor apart from AFF class?

I'm planning to do my AFF training in the spring through a DZ that's closer to my hometown but thought some wind tunnel time prior to the start of class might be beneficial. Thanks!

I've heard Raeford is an awesome wind tunnel. I personally flew first in the one in Orlando, and from that I would say that it would definitely help you learn to fly.

Personally, I would start jumping first, then when you know what you need to improve on and the little quirks that might irritate you (at least I had them) take it to the tunnel. Your instructors would definitely love you for going whenever.

www.paracletexp.com

FIRST TIME FLYER - XP Flight School - Price from $225.00

Looks good. Doing it first will also mean you have more comfidence when you actually jump and reduces the chance you will need to repeat a level. 10 min is a good amount of time to get used to flying and being able to do stuff.

www.paracletexp.com

Looks good. Doing it first will also mean you have more comfidence when you actually jump and reduces the chance you will need to repeat a level. 10 min is a good amount of time to get used to flying and being able to do stuff.

THANKS!! Just what I was looking for! ;)

www.paracletexp.com

THANKS!! Just what I was looking for! ;)

A couple of my buddies that did the AFF at Raeford said that they were all over the place in the wind tunnel but when they actually jumped they were much better at keeping control. I would chalk that up to the wind tunnel experience.

I went through the AFF course at Raeford including the tunnel time at ParacleteXP. I'll second what's been said: You'll probably be all over the place in the tunnel and if you're anything like me you'll be frustrated beyond belief at your lack of control -- I'm one of those type-A perfectionists that wants to be able to do everything perfectly. Heh.

That being said, once I was actually jumping I was very comfortable getting stable once I was out of the plane. I think the tunnel really forces you to be much more precise with your body position. Plus, the tunnel is a lot of damn fun.

The crew at RPC is also amazing so that helped a bunch, too. The AFF instructors and coaches are really focused on making skydivers out of their students. Even on the busiest of weekends with fun jumpers, tandems, and everyone else coming through they'll make sure you get all the instruction and jumps that you want. I'm really glad I found them! Now, if my back would just heal so I could get back to jumping ...

I went through the AFF course at Raeford including the tunnel time at ParacleteXP. I'll second what's been said: You'll probably be all over the place in the tunnel and if you're anything like me you'll be frustrated beyond belief at your lack of control -- I'm one of those type-A perfectionists that wants to be able to do everything perfectly. Heh.

That being said, once I was actually jumping I was very comfortable getting stable once I was out of the plane. I think the tunnel really forces you to be much more precise with your body position. Plus, the tunnel is a lot of damn fun.

I'm not sure if I want to do another tandem or not before I start my AFF. I'd thought about it strictly from the standpoint of having another jump another my belt (since I won't be starting AFF until spring) and to get a little more canopy flight instruction. But I DEFINITELY think I'm going to do some tunnel time at Raeford this winter. I think that will give me alot of extra confidence as far as body stability at the beginning of AFF class.

Thanks for all the input!

Not familiar with the DZ at Raeford, but the tunnel is pretty nice. I say go for it! I've got 6 AFF jumps and 25 minutes in the tunnel, and while its hard to tell where i'd be without the tunnel, I really doubt i'd be as comfortable as I am now. Just did 10 minutes last night.. My up/down, forward/backward, and arm turns felt solid and all around controlled. Worked on leg turns and side slides for the first time, they were sketchy but.. existent :D . Just being able to maneuver myself where I wanted/when I wanted was great. And not bouncing off the net/walls like a pinball machine is nice :)

Go for it, if you're like me you love to learn.. And there's a wholllllle lot to learn