freeflydrew

Tunnel Write Up in the Wall Street Journal

just read the article in my work's breakroom. anyone know anything, (facts, rumors, hear say) about the Austin tunnel they mention? a short drive to fly when the weather is bad would be very helpful in buliding this young jumper's skills.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Another mention in there of a tunnel being built in Toronto. Does anyone know any details, though? There's nothing on the SkyVenture website, although I know that's not the only possibility. I have heard murmurings around the campfire, so to speak, but nothing substantial, yet. I'd be interested if there is anything serious going on towards a Toronto tunnel.

just read the article in my work's breakroom. anyone know anything, (facts, rumors, hear say) about the Austin tunnel they mention? a short drive to fly when the weather is bad would be very helpful in buliding this young jumper's skills.

see kirks reply to Austin

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1750683;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Seeing is believing and I know what it takes~;)
The article has the upcoming sites listed and it doesn't take much to figure out that they were fed the information by skyventure corp.
Wall Street called and asked me what makes SVNH different than the other tunnels. She failed to post any of my answers and only posted that we do kids camps and our ticket rate. So... that is the press for you. It is always nice to have free PR but I don't think that the article was that great.

I agree with you...

very nice to know they're talking about the wind tunnel... but... saying that skydiving is a cheap sport and taking swooping as a "bad thing" ( like it was the only dangerous sport in life...), (as I read)... not too cool.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

There are definitely a lot of things in the article that are questionable. I was interviewed by the reporter numerous times and she failed to post much of what we discussed as well. A lot was left out for sure. Much of this would not be picked up on by the general public who is unfamiliar with wind tunnels. But for those of us who know more about the tunnels, the things she mentioned like the wind tunnel technology (in ground fans in the newer tunnels?) , can really raise an eyebrow. Even the discussion about pricing, etc. definitely used different terminology than we typically use when thinking about tunnel time. We talk in price per x number of minutes rather than per session, which is way too broad! In addition, one of my little ones was not to happy because the article only mentioned Justin's future competition plans and current sponsorship by Go Fast! etc and did not mention Kayla in the mix when we definitely discussed that both kids are sponsored and going to compete in Bedford etc. All of the kids sponsors were mentioned in interviews, but only two were mentioned in the article, so there were definitely missing pieces when the whole article was assembled. While the publicity for skydiving and wind tunnels is a step in the right direction for the sport, the article could definitely have been improved upon. I could go on for a long time about other issues with the article, but I think you all get the point. My guess is that information about new tunnels popping up might have just been pulled off of a website. I hope that the article will encourage people to try flying in the tunnel and try skydiving, I think that the whole direction of the article was to show that skydiving has changed and the sport has a future, so lets just think positive and hope that the general public read it that way and will give tunnel flying and skydiving a try!:)