Dougjumper

Flyaway in Pigeon Forge TN

I gotta tell ya, I havent been to the tunnel in like 5 years. So I stopped in to have some fun and let my fiancee try some wind tunnel fun. We were on our way to Clingmans Dome in the Smokey's. Dang it wore my ASS out. Im here to tell ya. It Kicked my butt just bellyflying and turning 360's. I must be getting old or something..:P

Anyway Renee got sore as Hell. She's not used to it. The only thing sore on me was the top of my feet for some reason. Anyway I hear if you can fly good at this Windtunnel you can fly good in any other Tunnel. Is that true? What you guys and Gals think?

If you learn to fly well in the slower, choppier wind at Flyaway you can fly anything, especially considering you can fall off the column of air. Many dismiss Flyaway as just a ride for wuffos, but the more time your body spends in the air the more muscle memory you will gain. Besides, whats wrong with learning to fly slow??? freefall doesn't last long enough as it is.
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving

Many dismiss Flyaway as just a ride for wuffos,

I know alot of tourist in that area come in and try it out. But whoever is calling it a Wuffo ride need to try it out for themselves to see how well they can fly. I know wuffos cant fly, but even some experienced jumpers can have some difficulty. It requires much more effort to fly it seems, and fly well at that. Good day..B|

It was my first wind tunnel. Lots of fun. Certainly not a trainer for 4-way, but great for broadening the general flying abilities for fact that it is different air and that's a good thing. It was a 'ride' for me, but that's not bad, just the opposite.

I thought it was great. Compared to Skyventure? A lot harder to fly still and precision, a lot easier to do front and back loops and other things like that, a bit more forgiving of mistakes too. It is also neat to be able to stand right there at the edge of the airflow. (my suit velcro kept opening up during my flights.

It's a good time and great learning. And, it's something to look down and see a big fan turning - that's what the frog in the blender must feel like.....

I'm sure that taking my wife there before AFF resulted in her getting through AFF much faster.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I visited Flyaway TN after my third AFF jump hoping to hone some skills. Not exactly what I had been hoping for, but i had a good time... This is the closest tunnel to Cincinnati that I know of (although I have heard rumors of a possible tunnel being built near Dayton, OH). My brother and I bought 15 minutes for about 120 or so and split the airtime. Staff was very friendly and helpful, but they make you wear a VERY baggy flysuit to give you lift. They also instruct you to get big in the air, with almost no arch. Whereas this did help me learn to slow my freefall rate, it hurt me in the stability dept. My next jump I was trying to cup air like i was in the tunnel, had to remind myself to arch it out.
They did bring a girl that couldn't walk into the tunnel with two very good instructors, that kid was all smiles long after her time was up, I thought that was pretty cool.. It was about 96 outside and near 120 inside that place, so if you go in the summer - be ready to be a bit warm!