VTmotoMike08

First tunnel trip coming up

Hey all,
(Yes, this is my first ever post on these forumns, beer... i know)

I just scheduled my first trip to the wind tunnel, going to the skyventure tunnel in Colorado in about 3 weeks. I just wanted to ask what you think about what I was told on the phone. I got 10 minutes, but might try to get more if I can round up the cash. I asked if there would be anyone in the tunnel with me and they said yes, my instructor would be in there with me. I asked if I should get a coach to do some better training and they said that I probably won't need it with a 10 minute session because I would probably spend most of it just getting used to the tunnel and how to fly in it. Yes, I told them that I am a skydiver when I called.

So basically, is this what I can really expect? Will it really take me 10 minutes in the tunnel to fly stable and get to the point that a coach would be worth the $50? I have 87 jumps and about 65- 70 min of freefall. I dont know what to expect but I would think that I could learn to fly stable in there in less than 10 minutes. I suspect that I would be doing 5x 2 min rotations.

I should also note that I am going to collegiate nationals and competing in 2- way RW a few days after the tunnel so I will be looking to improve those skills.

So basically: how long until I can get used to the tunnel and make useful progress on improving my RW skills? And if there is going to be an instructor with me, can I just use him as a reference and take grips on him or is he just there to make sure I dont hurt myself? Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: just read the Coach vs Instructor thread below this one, but I am still curious how long it will really take me to fly stable in the tunnel. Thanks.

I don't know about the more experienced skydivers, but I only really have 1 jump, my AFF1. I spent 15 minutes in the tunnel at Eloy and I did get a coach. It only took me about 1 or 2 minutes before he had me flying on my own. The rest of the time he spent teaching me skills you probably already have. I learned how to 360 left and right and move up, down and forward and back. I certainly can't speak for any other coach than the one I had, but he was great and from a new guys prospective, get the coach.
Thanks Mick if you are watching.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Okay, I'm definitely biased and I'm not about to speculate as to how much you can accomplish in your ten-minute session, AND I'm not a skydiver, so you have all my caveats up front. On the other hand, I do spend a lot of time at SVCO and I buy a whole lot of ten-minute sessions from them.

That being said, I would use the money to buy more minutes instead of putting it into a coach. That's not to say that a coach wouldn't be helpful, but you really can get a lot of good out of the instructors without also having a coach. It's my guess that even if you only spend a few minutes getting stable, the amount of leftover time for which you really might want a coach goes down. I suspect the instructors can give you what you need in your first ten minutes, and they'll pre-brief and de-brief with you if you let them know what your goals are. Then, re-evaluate your need for a coach if you decide to go back for more. Alternatively, you could break your 10 minutes up into a couple of sessions. See what you think after the first trip through.
TPM Sister #102

:)
It's different. Bottom line.

You may catch on quickly, but believe me, the instructors are more than qualified to progress you according to your skill level.

SVCO has a great vibe, and the instructors are very talented and very good at what they do. Just be prepared to go in there and have fun. They'll take care of the rest.:)

In my experience (and I don't know the instructors at SVCO) the instructors are pretty good at helping you with a lot of the basics. The main downside is that they are working the whole time you are in the chamber, so can't really talk to you between your rotations.

I've learnt a lot of my sit-flying in the tunnel from the instructors at airkix although I have had coaching at times too. After the uncaoched sessions I've done, the instructors often give me hints and tips which were really helpful and I put them into practice the following week. If they had been able to tell me these things mid-session between rotations, I may have been able to progress faster, but they obviously can't do that while responsible for the safety of the other flyers.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I did tunnel time in Colorado with about 15 jumps.I had no problem ever getting stable nor anyone else in our group.We ranged from 15 to a few thousand jumps.The big thing is staying in the center and not using the walls to help you fly.I would not get a coach. The instuctors there were great! They discussed what we individually wanted to work on and did a great job comunicating instruction while in the tunnel.I considered them my coach.We had I think 4 or 5 different instuctors between us all and they were all wonderful.I agree spend your money on more time.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas