Anyone suffer from cramp in the tunnel?

Ever since i can remember, for some reason i have suffered from cramp in only one body part - on the curvature of both of my feet, on the inner side (the curve).

Once or twice, when i first started jumping, i got a twinge there, when i was flat flying for my first 100 or so jumps. Nothing much, but enough for me to worry it would hurt like hell if the muscles in that curvy part of my foot went into spasm during free fall.

I think pointing my toes while flat, "forced" my feet into that curled position and this is a way for me to "bring on" the muscle spasm if i hold that position for long enough.

Anyway cue my first 10 mins in the tunnel, and most of which was flat. It was made up of four 2.5 min blocks, and even on the last session when i was on my back, toward the end of every 2.5 min session, i was literally on the verge of getting cramp in my feet every time. I think it's because i'm spending almost 3 times the amount of time i normally spend in freefall, in the tunnel, and 3/4 of the first 10mins i ever did were flat (with the pointy toe thing going on, which doesn't help my cramp).

Has anyone else suffered from this? I must admit, i was pretty stupid and didn't stretch my feet nearly enough before starting my session which may well have helped stop it altogether.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I suffered from cramp in a hamstring once in the tunnel. I think it was due to a knee pad having slipped/turned and cutting off the blood supply!

I don't really know what to suggest apart from lots of stretching before a tunnel session.

Vicki

i was pretty stupid and didn't stretch my feet nearly enough before starting my session

..but who thinks of their feet when you've got your back, hamstrings, pecs, neck, gluts to worry about too??

I've occasionally suffered from cramp in my feet in the tunnel (also calves and sometimes hamstrings), but never in freefall. As you say, no doubt it comes from holding a position for a long time. I'm more likely to get it if I'm less current and the muscle isn't used to it. Eating more salt and drinking lots of water can help - i.e. just have a bag of crisps before you fly. Or just spend more time in the tunnel and strengthen your pointy-toe position! :D

I have constant cramps in the arches of my feet - especially while doing yoga or pilates and running.

Mine was caused by a pinch in a nerve in my calf, which surgery fixed. I'm not saying this is the case for you, but if you find this is a constant problem, like me, you may want to talk to an orthopedist.

Jen
Arianna Frances

"Eating more salt and drinking lots of water can help - i.e. just have a bag of crisps before you fly."

Your salt advice is a bit "old school". Many times cramps are caused by a lack of potassium or magnesium. I suffer from these often. Potasium/Mag help me every time--especially if you may have had a few brewskies the night before. ;)

Before your next tunnel session, try drinking a big glass of OJ or eating a banana. May help tremendously. Or, just throw back a mag/potassium pill with a water chaser. It works!