oldbastard

Tunnel Instructors

Was just at Airkix - had a darn good time. I've been flying in wind tunnels for a while now - trying to learn freeflying. I noticed an instructor - Mike - chap from South Africa - not many skydives and is amazing.

Infact - most of the instructors are a lot better than me and I have been working on this a while now. I saw Joe and Rusty there - instructors from the Orlando tunnel and they were coaching some of the U.K. staff - I hadn't really seen Joe at the Orlando tunnel much - but he was freakn' amazing.

I felt like I learned more just watching him coaching than I had flying the many hours I have flown. Does anyone know if he coaches anyone other than the staff or does he only coach staff - and is he why the staff at the SkyVenture tunnels are so good? I didn't get a chance to talk to him while I was there - I know Rusty does some coaching - but what about Joe?

I know the instructors do a lot more flying than most - but it seems that even the new instructors progress at such a faster rate than others. Anyone else notice this?

I really think if anyone gets a chance to visit the U.K. they should stick around to watch the instructors fly - I especially loved watching Michael. Joe and Rusty were amazing. SkyVenture Orlando has some great flyers as well - as does Arizona and Perris - were they all trained by Joe?

Hello OldBastard - nice name!

I know Joe - and yes he does coach people other than staff. Though getting him to coach you can be quite difficult as he is usually travelling to other tunnels to train their staff.

When he is in Orlando - he is often busy helping to construct manuals for the upcoming International Bodyflight Association - basically U.S.P.A. for SkyVenture wind tunnels.

If you are interested in obtaining freefly coaching from him you should call the Orlando Tunnel directly in a couple weeks. I am not certain how much he charges - but I think it is quite a bit - although, his coaching is amazing.

Orlando does have several instructors though that offer great freefly coaching. If you are unable to secure coaching with Joe, I would suggest Carlos. He is willing to do coaching more frequently than is Joe. He and Joe fly with similar techniques and Carlos's coaching is very, very good as well.

Also - another excellent freefly coach is Fabian who is now back in Orlando. You can contact the Orlando tunnel if you need information on how to contact him.

As far as your comments that Tunnel instructors progress more quickly - I don't think they progress more quickly than anyone else for any reason other than they have more time to practice.

Learning to freefly in the tunnel is not done in ten or fifteen minutes. It does take time and dedication. It is quite expensive to become a proficient freeflyer in the tunnel - though you will be learning exact mechanics of flight. You will not be learning techniques that work for one person - you will learn mechanics of bodyflight.

If you are serious about learning to freefly - I would suggest that you not space out your tunnel time over long periods. If money is an issue - I think it is better to save up until you have enough to buy a good chunk of time.

Of course - you can learn in small amounts of coaching at a time but it will take you longer. Think of it like learning to skydive. Students who go through the student program quickly have more success than those that spread their jumps over many months.

I hope this helps you. I don't post to forums - this is my first but I couldn't resist from replying to yours as I know Joe and his coaching. In my own opinion his coaching is second to none.

Mike at Airkix is what I call a natural flyer. He is extremely gifted. He picks stuff up in only one or two try’s. Before he left us in Orlando He was already flying head down. He will be a top level flyer very soon.

It all depends on what type of coaching you want. Rw stuff? Talk to Rusty or Thomas Hughes. Freeflying talk to Joe, Carlos, Chris Ash or Randy. Call the SkyVenture Orlando and leave your name and what you want. Someone will contact you

-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

joe's an incredible flyer. joe and carlos together are off the hook. when i used to work at SVO, joe would really push me to fly outside the envelope and my comfort zone a bit to learn new stuff.

IMO, they don't get any better than joe and carlos in the tunnel...period. :)

Joe Rocks, especially his spiderman flying, although I have never flown with Carlos, I know his rep is awesome!

Actually all of the Orlando tunnel instructors are fantastic fliers and instructors in both rw and freefly - Olaf, Omar, Mike, Dan, Rusty, etc. They are the best out there.

Now that I live in AZ with the tunnel in my back yard, I miss Orlando and all the guys there - big hugs to ya all.

By the way, Mike from Orlando is credited for spreading the very nasty flu bug to all of us here in AZ..... He definitely left his calling card when he left after training the new instructors. Cheers Mate:P

Liz

Olaf Brell hasn't been with the tunnel for some time now. His new business is keeping him so busy, he doesn't even have time to do free lance coaching.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe, just maybe, I can talk him into coming out to Colorado and do some coaching here.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

i have seen carlos do a wicked spiderman in the tunnel - it's sorta his signature move. don't think i've seen joe do it though. as many times as you've been to the orlando tunnel, i can't believe you haven't see carlos fly. he was in AZ training the guys (he and michael were) so maybe you have their names swapped? just a thought. :)