Skolls081102

Weight Limits in the Tunnel????

I figured I'd throw this out to all the Tunnel people- for those of you who don't know my story- I am overweight, so for now I can't go skydiving (hopefully will lose the weight so I can start my training next spring). So I figured, while I have to wait on the ground, maybe I could do a little Tunnel Time to start my training. I know there are no close Tunnels to New Jersey, but I did hear mention of one being built by the Meadowlands- does anyone have any idea as to when that might be open (I get a feeling it won't be for awhile...) And secondly, is there a weight limit to use a Tunnel?
And while I'm asking- what is the average cost for tunnel time?
Sorry to throw out a bunch of questions at one time. Thanks in advance, to anyone who can give me some info.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

The tunnel in NH is supposed to be ready in February (famous last words:P) - have a feeling that will be whats closest to you.

Otherwise, tix from the north east to FL were dirt cheap this past winter. The only down side is that its difficult to get 'last minute' tunnel time in Orlando due to over seas groups coming over for training etc.

Plan ahead. Tunnel time is great for training. The last time I was in Orlando I saw a guy that was EASILY 350 lbs. in there. Granted, he didn't have much room, but he was there.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Ok this is sky ventures Orlando’s official guidelines. Ages 3 and up (has to be potty trained) and a maximum weight limit of 250 lbs. Now we do make exceptions for those we know are proficient on their bellies, someone who has flown in the tunnel with an instructor before and has a lot of experience but over the years has put on some weight. The reasoning for this is that as an instructor we take an oath that we will do everything in our power to keep a flyer safe. If this means getting hurt in the process then so be it. Now personally I would not take a flyer in that’s 350 lbs. an instructor can decline to take a student in even after the tickets been sold (managers will handle any refund issues). The people at the front desk are suppose to ask anyone in question their weight. Another thing to consider is the surface area to weight. If some one is 6’5” and 250 lbs and another is 5’4” and 250lbs the guy that is 6’5” is going to get more lift then the guy at 5’4”. the shorter guy might not even get off the net even with the fans maxed out at the currant settings. The only way I would take anyone that is over the weight limit is if they agreed to stay no higher then waist level, which is just as good as ten feet up when the objective is to learn turns and some of the other basic movements. The best thing to do is to call skyVentureOlando or AZ or parris or the L1 and see what they say.

-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

The best thing to do is to call skyVentureOlando or AZ or parris or the L1 and see what they say.

I always find the people at tunnels to be helpful. Give them a call to hear it from the horses mouth, never hurts.

Bowen- Good insight as to what instructors do or may have to, to keep all of us safe. You guys are crazy :D Thank you Bowen & everyone at SVO for keeping me whole!:)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I'm 300 and I've been in the Orlando tunnel. I'll definitely say, that as an experienced skydiver, it was amusing, but ther wasn't enough air to really learn much in. Noe, in their defense, this was about 3 years ago, and I've heard that the air is even better since then.

Ganja

PS If you've got questions about fat fuckers skydiving, I'd be glad to give my opinions and help. Just IM me.

Well... all dat sounds pretty darn official if you ask me... to say it another way might be that if you are a fat ass who munches down twinkies all day - four electric fans might not have the power to lift your fat sweating ass off the grate. Skydiving is a sport. Most sports are played by athletes not linebackers. Linebackers just stand on the field to block for the athletes running and catching the ball. (The one's that actually score the points) So you see it is all very simple... if you are a fat ass then you might find your fat ass a handicap when it comes to participating in athletic activities. Sorry if this comes off sounding a little crude but I just call em' as I see em'.