Skyper

Left arm entaglement during opening

Can someone recall the chain of events whereby a static line student get entangled in such a way that his left hand is among the lines? At the same time he had a line over malfunction... He could not pull reserve handle and because of that he hesitated on cutting the main away (although he had RSL installed).

Is this event common on SL jumps? Is there a need to address this kind of malfunction during the training? What should be the proper handling?

Is this event common on SL jumps? Is there a need to address this kind of malfunction during the training? What should be the proper handling?

I don't know if it's common, but with SL and IAD you're commiting to a deployment when you have no idea what body position the student will be in. Regardless if they roll or tumble off the step, the canopy is coming out. With AFF, you have an instructor(s) to hold the student stable, or at least facing the right way, for the deployment.

As far as training and procedures, I'm not sure there's anything you can do, as the events are so random. What part of the body, entangled with what part of the main, and in what way will have a lot to do with the 'best' course of action, and I'm not sure you could cover all of them.

I would say that continuing on with the EPs is probably the best advice. If a hand is trapped, or the cutaway is handle cannot be reached, I would stick with '2 tries, 2 seconds' to fix the problem, and then just move on with the EPs.

You might also mention that you can pull either handle with either hand, so if your right hand is trapped, they can reach across and pull their cutaway with their left, and then go to the reserve. Again, any of these EP 'modifications' should be done with the proviso of '2 tries, 2 seconds', at which point you move forward with the procedures. So if you cannot reach across to cutaway, 2 tries 2 seconds, then skip it and just dump the reserve.

The real solution is proper training and impressing upon the student the idea that the canopy is coming out, and they can do a lot to make it happen properly. I've always been a fan of a super solid demonstration video, where you get an experienced jumper to make an SL exit, and they exaggerate each step of the climb-out, check-in, and exit. You might even shoot it from a couple of angles, like POV on the JM and maybe a Go-Pro on the strut. Make it very clear what is spoosed to happen, and train the students to do the same in the mock up until they have it down pat, and can run through it just like the video.

They'll still screw it up, but that's probably the best you can do.

The most common cause of this type of entanglement (or any tangled-in-lines situation) on S/L exit, assuming this was a hanging off the strut style of exit, is the jumper "pushing off" rather than just releasing.
I've put out 100's of S/L students out of 182's and 206's using the hanging exit. Some people, usually stronger guys, will do a sort of pull-up and then push themselves off the strut. This usually results in them doing a partial back-loop as the canopy is coming out, which can lead to entanglement.
I stress during the first jump course that the release is only letting go. Hang with elbows straight, look in at the instructor, get the signal to go, then look up and just open the hands for release.
On the EP side, I teach to try to clear any entanglement until 2500', then cut away. I tell my students that cutting away the main will usually relieve the tension on the lines and allow the main to clear whatever body part the lines are around.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

This is where a single handle system eliminates decisions. Not right, pull the handle.

Not starting that debate over but that's what was used at the DZ where I threw static line students.

We had one guy that managed to get a main riser under his chin around his neck. That takes skill.;) He knew he was choking and did the only thing he was taught, pulled the SOS handle. His main cleared and reserve opened. He landing unconcious under his reserve but was fine.

With the SOS system we did train, briefly, for entanglements. Of course it's easy when the answer is pull your reserve.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The most common cause of this type of entanglement (or any tangled-in-lines situation) on S/L exit, assuming this was a hanging off the strut style of exit, is the jumper "pushing off" rather than just releasing.
I've put out 100's of S/L students out of 182's and 206's using the hanging exit. Some people, usually stronger guys, will do a sort of pull-up and then push themselves off the strut. This usually results in them doing a partial back-loop as the canopy is coming out, which can lead to entanglement.
I stress during the first jump course that the release is only letting go. ...

The best time to prevent this problem is during rehearsal at the mock-up. Hold the student by the shoulders or belt to emphasize the point that they only need to open their hands. If they do anything more, repeat the instruction and repeat the rehearsal until they only open their hands.