baronn

In air communication for training

Not sure if this has been covered but, does anyone have any experience with these? Seems like a no-brainer to me but, since it hasn't been widely used, I figure maybe I'm missing something. I know they've been used on the records and they worked well. Love to have this for my students.

For freefall or under canopy?

Auditory exclusion is a typical physiological response to a high stress environment. Not just in skydiving, but across the board for people in general.

I've played with a couple of cheaper solutions for air-to-air communications while under canopy with really poor success. To the point that we gave up and just went back to big signals using our feet/legs. This was very experienced jumpers.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not sure if this has been covered but, does anyone have any experience with these? Seems like a no-brainer to me but, since it hasn't been widely used, I figure maybe I'm missing something. I know they've been used on the records and they worked well. Love to have this for my students.

For AFF, I don't think so. I do use air to air communications for wingsuit instruction. It's a listen-only system, and only one word (preferably one syllable coupled with hand signals) are effective.
It might work well for AFF, never have tried it. However, with around 100 jumps with in-air, I'll submit that the reaction time for students to process audible vs hand signals is slower. It might also create a dependency and the latent response could create other problems.

There are some very cost-effective ways to do this; but systems designed for tunnel use are the best, IMO.

Auditory exclusion is a typical physiological response to a high stress environment.

Can I use that next time I get called out for not paying attention to the wife?

Sure, but I highly discourage trying to run, bike or swim away from her!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."