matthewcline

Log book Signature Question

Hey fellow Instructors and/or I/E's, how do you sign a log book?

Do you put just a License and #?

A Rating and Date earned?

A rating and the Current Year?

Just you name?

Or a combination of the above?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

For instruction jumps or students, its D# and rating (since there aren't rating numbers). For others it varies between license numbers, award numbers, SCR number and the such.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If the jump is required for a specific rating or license I sign with my "D" number and "I" with expiration date.

If it's just a signature for another jumper who wants the line filled in I switch numbers and use my "A" or "C", and sometimes my BASE number, or one of my many other numbers.

When I was an S&TA I enjoyed signing with both the BASE number and S&TA, something that would have drawn a serious negative response from the USPA hierarchy years ago.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The experation date of the rating I have not seen, but that makes more sense to me.

I used to sign the Year I earned my rating, then changed to current year when I thought it was a bit egotistical.

Signing with the experation date makes the most sense as then the next "I" can be sure the jump was done to the minimum standards at least (I would hope!).

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

>The experation date of the rating I have not seen, but that makes more sense to me.

It follows the FAA model and I'm sure must be in the regs somewhere, although I haven't searched it out.

Example: If a flight instuctor signs your pilot logbook, they list the year their rating expires.

Maybe someone like Tombuch can elaborate.

>The expiration date of the rating I have not seen, but that makes more sense to me.

It follows the FAA model and I'm sure must be in the regs somewhere, although I haven't searched it out.

Example: If a flight instructor signs your pilot logbook, they list the year their rating expires.

Maybe someone like Tombuch can elaborate.

I am not aware of any specific USPA regulation or recommendation as to how an instructor signs the logbook. I use the FAA model and add my license number so it is easy for USPA to search for and confirm my authorization through their database. So I would sign "Tom Buchanan D-8514, I-12/09."
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Thought I might get away with being lazy again....damn. Here it is (in regards to the FAA model anyway).

Part 61.51 Pilot logbooks (h) Logging training time (2) The training must be logged in a logbook and must: (ii) Include a description of the training given, the length of the training lesson, and the authorized instuctor's signature, certificate number, and certificate expiration date.

Not sure we want to adopt the "length of the training lesson" part ;-) but the rest is there. And, I now know to include the "month" the rating expires as well as the year.