mattaman

Its gotta be said

There have been tandem fatalities cause the RSL or tandem I deployer the reserve while they were unstable, tumbling on the cutaway, period.
I've got about 19 tandem cutaways, the first 2 with the RSL connected. I felt the pilot chute/bridle bounce off my legs on the RSL deployments and made the decision that it was safer without it.
I recommend we in the sport look at this issue seriously, cause the skyhook can prevent this, as well as instructors trained to not need the rsl.
I'm so sorry for the instructors who understand and are dealing with this problem. It also hurts to reflect on the TI's who did their job and got tangled in the reserve deployments and died, they were doing the best they could.
Those stuck in maya, seek to be seen.

How about we say damn to the danger of unstable cutaways on tandems and address the issue with skyhooks on tandems to fix this problem.

OK, damn! I'll start...

How bout starting an educational campaign aimed at TI's on the woes of RSL's.

How bout lobbying the manufacturers to mandate or recommend skyhooks.

How bout getting USPA and/or PIA in on the movement.

Your welcome. Bud Lite will be fine - Damn!;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

There have been tandem fatalities cause the RSL or tandem I deployer the reserve while they were unstable, tumbling on the cutaway, period.
I've got about 19 tandem cutaways, the first 2 with the RSL connected. I felt the pilot chute/bridle bounce off my legs on the RSL deployments and made the decision that it was safer without it.
I recommend we in the sport look at this issue seriously, cause the skyhook can prevent this, as well as instructors trained to not need the rsl.
I'm so sorry for the instructors who understand and are dealing with this problem. It also hurts to reflect on the TI's who did their job and got tangled in the reserve deployments and died, they were doing the best they could.

Discussed in another thread, but I'll add my .02.

I have three chops with RSL and NO Skyhook and three with Skyhook.

Skyhook deploys reserve before you can get into a "legs in the lines" position.

Amen.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

You guys rock, not making trouble here but just want this skeleton out of the closet. And it really is there!
What would we say to a tandem I who through the drogue out unstable, tumbling right out the door of the airplane. What an asshole. Well, It can be worse with an rsl, only more subterminal and closer to the ground on an unstable cutaway.
Yet, a TI who goes without it is labeled a rebel who puts his needs before his passenger, or her passenger. We used to honor out of the box thinking in this country, and this sport, many great inventions and lives were save by it. The rsl had its time, but that time has past, this needs to be said.
I'm off this thread, thanks brothers for not leaving a brother dangling!
Those stuck in maya, seek to be seen.

How about we say damn to the danger of unstable cutaways on tandems and address the issue with skyhooks on tandems to fix this problem.

I don't know if things have changed but when UPT announced the licensing of the skyhook, competitors' tandem rigs were specifically excluded.