wildjump

Flaring a Sigma 395 Tandem

Anyone have experience with the Sigma 395 Tandem. I did a 250 pounder yesterday, exit weight 450lbs. Man, I could only pull the toggles (both sets) to my chest for the flare. The pressure was huge, and I'm no wimp. Any advice? BTW I never have the student help flare, too many crashes.

Two things have helped me flare tandems, including the Sigma series (and EZ-384). Keeping my hands in for the most power from my back and arms and lifting weights. A couple of years ago I posted a TI's workout program, which IMO will help give you the strength for no-student help tandems all day long. Even though the toggle pressure is a bit higher, I prefer the Sigma canopies over the Icarus, A2 and Firebolt canopy offerings, so it was important for me to have the strength and endurance to do atleast 10 a day.

That and being fit as well as strong will only help protect your body from injury as a TI.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Our Team uses the 395 and we tend to do a 2 stage flare. Stage 1 is the "surf" and stage 2 is the "finish". We don't do any thing to increase our landing speed (ie hook turns or stall/surge).

We do a varient of of the TI work out but in the Army we call it Daily PT;).
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Aggie Dave is correct.
Keep your hands in.
With heavy and un-helpful students, I do a two-stage flare. Thr first step involves pulling my toggles to my shoulders.
The step involves rolling my elbows up, then finishing the flare by pushing my toggles down my ribs. Keeping your hands in close uses triceps, pectoralus, latimus muscles, etc..
Keeping your hands close to your torso doubles your strength.

Where was this advice during my AFF? (Sprained rotator cuff) While I may be a beginner I am an engineer. As an engineer I can say is Riggerbob is absolutley correct. Think of your arm as a lever. The further away the toggle is from your shoulder the more force is required because your muscle is on the wrong end of the lever to get mechanical advantage. Also this will allow much stronger muscles to do the work (tricepts, trapizoid, pecs) as opposed to the muscles in the shoulder which are very weak in comparison. The only thing I disagree with Rigger bobs stament is that it doubles your strength, it does way more than double it :P:D and produces much better speed control and range. I am surprised this is not drilled into all new jumpers as I know may flares and landings improved out of sight once i did this.