BirdBoi

Aff intructors and downsizing..what do u think??

Just had a thought the other day.. why dnt Aff instrcutors talk to students after completing (or before/during) about downsizing..where to go next. Being included in the aff program. It seems one of the most common questions asked on dz.com and i dnt remeber being told about it by my instructor. Although dz.com is a good source for info you have to take everyones opinion with a pinch of salt as they variy so drastically and will depend on experience, weight ect for canopys. Its different for everyone. I know this is an extra effort and they will probably get the info along the way if they are buying from a shop or to get the info from there instructor. Say your buying second hand, just off aff som1 offers you a 150 cheap they say you will be fine on it, after you get out of hospital you relaise that was to small, im sure that must of happend sumwhere sumtime, or someone buying first hand and buying to small. As you can see im not an instructor, olny 64 jumps so dont grill me to much:P

But just to make things safer, what do you guys think?:S

Peace

p.s
Didnt know wethr to put this in instructors or gear and rigging or general so feel free to move it.

We do
At least any AFFI (or any I for that matter) worth their salt does.
Being an AFF SL/l IAD/I doesn't mean that your job is over once you graduate your students. And few Is, if any, operate in such a manner that make their students feel like they are on their own after they get their USPA licenses.
You bring up a great point about advise attained on dz.com. NOBODY knows a young jumper's skills better than their own instructors. Therefore any said young jumper should trust their former instructors 100 times more than anything that they read on this open forum.
Who can say that anyone giving advise here has the credentials to do so. Just cuz in their profile it says that they are qualified? I don't think so. And what instructor worth anything can evaluate your skills honestly over the internet having never seen or jumped with you.
My advise is to stick to the people that know you and have been jumping with you. Be wary of the advise from anyone that has more dz.com posts than jumps (no offense to any of you superposters unless I mean it). And if you have difficulty determining what advise is correct....use your commen sense. That usually is the best determiner of the proper course of action.
Above all be safe, there are plenty of people near you that can help you accomplish your goals in this sport. Just don't do anything stupid.
Aaron

btw - just cuz I don't have a lot of posts doesn't mean that I know what I'm talking about either.
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”