j0nes

Advice to aspiring tandem masters

What advice would you give to someone who is interested in becoming a full-time drogue jockey?

Watch the tandem instructors at the dropzone(s) you jump at, see which ones consistently land well, and talk to them. Watch the tandem videos, see which instructors are consistently stable immediately after exit, and talk to them. When you notice the instructors who aren't consistently stable or who don't consistently land well, see if you can tell what the differences are in their techniques that you think might contribute to those problems, then ask the better tandem instructors what they think.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

What advice would you give to someone who is interested in becoming a full-time drogue jockey?

My advice would be to read any of the other ten threads on the exact same subject that have been in this very forum in the past year.

-be very fit
-be very competent in freefall
-don't throw the drogue for stability
-be able to land a damn parachute
-don't do more work in a day than your body or mind can handle
-don't accept packjobs for anyone who has ever, ever packed a lineover on your DZ

my advice would differ slightly

don't throw the drogue for stability

i would definitly agree. however, should i find myself drougueless below six thousand feet, i will be deploying the drogue(regardless of any stability issues) so i can increase the chance of getting a main.

don't accept packjobs for anyone who has ever, ever packed a lineover on your DZ

lineovers are not always a packing error. my personal experience has been that most packers either become diligent or stop packing. i personally would rather have a packer that has had a customer or two cutaway. they are more likely to understand how important the job they do is. your mileage may vary.

blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

don't accept packjobs from anyone who has ever, ever packed a lineover on your DZ

lineovers are not always a packing error. my personal experience has been that most packers either become diligent or stop packing. I personally would rather have a packer that has had a customer or two cutaway. they are more likely to understand how important the job they do is.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry, but I am with Chuck on this one.
It is easy to teach junior packers how to avoid line-overs. If they don't want to listen, then they don't pack school gear.

It is easy to teach junior packers how to avoid line-overs.

i absolutley agree

If they don't want to listen, then they don't pack school gear.

no argument there.

my experience has been that the ones who care, wether they are packing, instructing, manifesting, or rigging are the ones who stay.

lineovers are not always a packing error. you can show someone how to avoid causing a number of malfunctions, but you will never be able to train them to eliminate the chance that any of them will happen. i would never hold a packer to a higher standard than a manufacturer. which is why i'm surprised you never see a packer with a warning label.

blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin