riddler

AFFIs: How fast does your canopy open?

When I took the AFF Certification Course I was jumping a FX 99 what had the breaks set a little deeper. On this canopy the openings slowed to 800-900 feet. Heck with a 800 – 900 foot snivel, I was golden, dumping at 2K and saddling out at 1200 –1100 after a track. But this was not case I was pegged, just like every one else is during the course and naturally I wanted to be higher when saddled out.

During the course the evaluators wanted to see that the pin is pulled, container open, no lower than 2K and of course if I could do this higher with adequate separation I did. If I busted the BSR’s minimum container-opening altitude for C or D licensed skydiver it was an automatic un-sat for the skydive.

The way I see it there are four ways to fix this:
1) Practice your track until you reach adequate separation in least amount altitude)
2) Pack your canopy to open faster (This is what I did)
3) Jump a faster opening canopy for example maybe a saber one wing loaded more toward expert
4) Don’t take the course if your canopy opening freaks you out to the point where it is interfering with your ability to work with a student in the air.
Memento Mori

The way I see it there are four ways to fix this:
1) Practice your track until you reach adequate separation in least amount altitude)

Do this regardless of whether you get an AFF rating. Most people I see at boogies and such don't track for shit.

Don’t take the course if your canopy opening freaks you out to the point where it is interfering with your ability to work with a student in the air.

If that's the case, one shouldn't be working with students anyhow, and thus wouldn't be able to prepare for the course.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Do this regardless of whether you get an AFF rating. Most people I see at boogies and such don't track for shit.

Are you agreeing with me or trying to start an argument?

If that's the case, one shouldn't be working with students anyhow, and thus wouldn't be able to prepare for the course.

Are you paraphrasing me or again are you trying to start and argument?
Memento Mori