skypuppy

refusing to take tandem students.....

I wanted to split this off the Handcams in the UK thread and see what people had to say.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, only yesterday I refused to jump with a passenger who I felt (and saw) to be too big and too stiff and too nervous.

(my business terms and conditions say I can do that without being obliged to give an explanation. If you as a tandeminstructor jump at a DZ where that is not the case I would suggest to seek employment elsewhere - I'm pretty sure there's work to be found for a rated tandeminstructor who insists that he will have final saying and is under no obligation to discuss it with the rejected passenger...)

I would like to see this split into a different thread.

So what happens to the tandem student? Does (did) some other tandem instructor take him? If not, who breaks the news to him, and what do they say about why? If they do, do they know that one instructor refused to take him? What if you're the senior instructor around, and a junior instructor said no? Do you feel obligated to take him? (I am assuming here that total weight is NOT over the tandem rigs limits, even if the student is heavy, it was stated that he was big, but also stiff and nervous. If weight is over the limit then it's a no-brainer)

Just wondering what policies are in place?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

We are just a small DZ in QLD Australia, doing maybe 10-20 tandems on the Weekend and upto 20 during the week in the peak season. We have most people arrive around 8.30am and show them all movies etc then. Those that are not able to do a tandem (weight, ability to lift legs etc) but are fit enough to do a solo are given the option of a Static Line jump (hence the early starts). I also believe that our Manifest asks their weight when the booking is made. TM's decision is FINAL. No If's or But's. :)
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Yes,

I'm 70kilos.
My DZ has a weight limit of 95kilos for passengers
My personal weight limit for passengers is "around 100kg"
Once a passenger showed up claiming he was 94kilos, but I estimated him at about 120kilos.
This was a moment for me to say sorry.
I told the DZO and he measured the weight of the passenger being :115kg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

You have to be comfortable to say Yes, otherwise, whatever reason, say No.
Because once you say Yes, you have all the responsibility. there is no excuse like "He didn't arch." You are wrong. You couldn't make him arch. "He didn't raise his legs up." You are wrong. You couldn't make him legs up.
Whatever happens, whenever start, it's PIC's responsibility.

The DZ where I do my tandems have a great policy. You tell then what weight etc. you are willing to take, and the manifestor makes sure you dont get stuck with someone who takes you outside MFR's and you personal limits.

BUT, no cant just specify, small, blonde scandinavian women.....;)

Bryn
Journey not destination.....