skydiverjerry

my bads for this month

was doing some coaching evaluations yesterday and as usual things were getting a little rushed >:( well any way after telling my guy to slow down and telling the manifest to slow down as my student was not ready i got a little distracted, then told my packer,s to hurry up with my rig.

distracted again, grabed my rig (atom and firebolt 101) grabed my guy ran to the plane, he as per his course brief attempted to give me a gear check and still in a rush to get in the plane i said ok good job thats the second check done jump in:S

5k and calmed down slowed down (sleeping) my student does his third check and i let him go allthe way through his procedures,

know we find out that my top flap has not been closed :$

deep breath gear off pullup cord out closed in air,

i felt like aB|

moral of the story slow is fast. assumption makes and ass.

rushing is what gets you killed! so dont
life is a journey not to arrive at the grave in a pristine condition but to skid in sideways kicking and screaming, shouting "fuck me what a ride!.

know we find out that my top flap has not been closed :$
deep breath gear off pullup cord out closed in air

It's unclear what your problem was.

- By "top flap", are you talking about a reserve parachute? Or the final closing flap on a main parachute?

- Had the pull-up cord not been removed from the closing loop after packing?

- What was "closed in air": the pin cover flap?

- By "top flap", are you talking about a reserve parachute? Or the final closing flap on a main parachute?

- Had the pull-up cord not been removed from the closing loop after packing?

- What was "closed in air": the pin cover flap?

I take it as the top flap on main closing.

He closed it in the plane!
Dale

two time New Zealand gumboot throwing champ.

I'm glad you posted this. You may get some flack from other instructors, but to me, it shows that we are all perfectly capable of making a mistake. I'm glad that the problem was spotted and I don't think this was a bad example to your student. No matter how "dumb" you may feel. This will be a lesson your student will remember for a long time and will likely never repeat. "I mean, shit, if my very experienced instructor can overlook something like this, what could I overlook?"

An aside...you could have pretended it was for his/her benefit and saved face! ;)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.