livendive

Post your 2-way drill dives

I like to stick to one two way progressive drill for new or inexperienced jumpers. This drill greatly assists them in maintaining their position in freefall. Exit: 2 way round. (I will refer to each jumper as "A" & "B". Initially "A" maintains position and stable fall rate while "B" turns in place to left for a side body. "A" takes side body grip, then release. "B" then continues to left, performing a 360, back to the original side body (this is where "B" actually determines if he is maintaining position in relation to "A". "A" takes side body grip again, and release. "A" & "B" back to the round, then "B" maintains position and "A" performs maneuvers. Back to round, then "A" & "B" perform maneuvers in opposite direction.
On the next dive, following the round both "A" & "B" turn to the left and take right grip compressed accordian, break, then both perform left 360 and dock in the original right grip closed accordian. Break grip, and both turn 180 to the right and take left grip closed accordian, followed by a 360 to the right and dock in the left grip accordian again. Rinse, and repeat.
I have had novice jumpers performing this dive with me so fast (only after performing the drill dive in freefall a couple of times) that we didn't even take grips between each 180 or 360 turn, but only momentarily touched and pushed off to the next turn.
I tell them that if we have to bob our heads out of each others way during the 180s, or our feet touch during the 360s, then we are performing the dive well.
Every novice I have performed this dive with has told me how much they enjoy this simple dive, because 1) they really learn quickly what their body does during a turn and usually correct any problems quickly, and 2) they are usually cranking out a lot of turns and docks in a releatively short amount of jumps. This dive also assists in showing them how to present their body for the other person to dock on.
If you like it, it's a lot of fun for them. If not, disregard it and move on to something else.
WhoreMonkey