Krip

USPA nationals

It's that time of the year again so I thought maybe we need to start a thread about the USPA nationals from the years gone by.

I'm thinking when the nationals were actually run by USPA. With pea gravel, spotting scopes, and pencil and paper.

Anyone attend the USPA Nationals when it was held in Richmond Indiana in 78. Not quite back in the day

But still paper and pencil.
One Jump Wonder

I was at both 78 and 79 nats in Richmond. It is a very special memory for me. Lots of cool friends and adventures. Good competition. Fun jumps. In 8-way we teamed up with another team and did a sweet 16-way on the last round I think.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

In 1972, in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, Pat Works created the "Godfrog Award". A symbol of "good vibes and good sportsmanship".

Each year, at USPA Nationals, the Godfrog is still awarded to the 10-way team that best displays these attributes. My team, Perris Xtreme 10, was awarded it in 2000.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I was at both 78 and 79 nats in Richmond. It is a very special memory for me. Lots of cool friends and adventures. Good competition. Fun jumps. In 8-way we teamed up with another team and did a sweet 16-way on the last round I think.

Hi Jeff

I peaked at your jump history page.

I can see why the 78-79 nationals were memorable for youB|

Congratulations:)
One Jump Wonder

In 1971 or 72 the Godfrog award was given to Matt Farmer of the Kansas Homegrown at Zhills and lived at our house in Lawrence. I think we ate the mushroom that was glued to the middle of the base.:| Prety sure that Matt gave the award to the Texas guys the next year. Not too sure about the dates but not a doubt that we had it for a year.

. . .I think we ate the mushroom that was glued to the middle of the base. . . .:|

So, we have confirmation that it -was- a mushroom there? Was it, as rumored, a 'magic mushroom'?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

In 1971 or 72 the Godfrog award was given to Matt Farmer of the Kansas Homegrown at Zhills and lived at our house in Lawrence. I think we ate the mushroom that was glued to the middle of the base.:| Prety sure that Matt gave the award to the Texas guys the next year. Not too sure about the dates but not a doubt that we had it for a year.

:)
Must have been '72 (or later), that was the year Pat Works started it.

See mypages.iit.edu/~kallend/godfrog/ for Godfrog history.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think we ate the mushroom that was glued to the middle of the base.

There has been more then a mushroom eaten off of the award. :)

Sparky

Yeah, but I cleaned it in 2002.

I'll go along with 72, we migrated to Casa Grande in 73

I missed qualifying for Marana, AZ in '68 but went anyway. I got a chance to be part of the first ever sport jump from a C-46. The next year I competed, also at Marana. Roy Johnson won the men's division. In 1970, we moved to Plattsburgh, NY for a weather shortened event won by Clayton Schoelple. My memory is hazy after that (I'd have to check my logbooks) but I know I competed in two events at Talequah. It might have been 74-75 but I can't be sure.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

'77 was my first nationals; I jumped with the BC-4 team. Tallaqua was an eye opener for me because I had only been jumping a year, but did have about 600 jumps.

Attached is the official pic of our 4-way team "Air Strike" at Richmond one year as published in Parachutist. We were out to win at all costs...

My first Nationals was 70 in Plattsburg.Competed in 4 Way which was the first RW Nationals and Our team ended up 4th. I think the cost back then was $105 for room and board and all your jumps.
Competed in 71 in accuracy and also ran.
Went back in 72 in 4 Way RW and was on the winning team.
Again in 73 and we ended up in 4th that year. Also jumped on a throw together 10 way team as well and we also ran. Had a real good time though.
Last Nationals was 79 and I was picked up the week before because one guy dropped out, it was pretty ugly, but did have a lot of fun.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

'77 was my first nationals; I jumped with the BC-4 team. Tallaqua was an eye opener for me because I had only been jumping a year, but did have about 600 jumps.

Attached is the official pic of our 4-way team "Air Strike" at Richmond one year as published in Parachutist. We were out to win at all costs...

Is that Phil Smith standing left?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

At the '72 Z-Hillls Turkey Meet, there was a mass exit of 162 people and a frog. A record for a mass exit at the time. For people, not frogs. The frog was C.G. Godgrog. The spot was increadably bad. REALLY bad considering that the exit altitude was about 5,000 ft. C.G. got out and opened. He was last seen drifting into the swamps where it was rumoured that he set up his kingdom and may still reign there to this day.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I'm pretty sure it is..

Sparky

Mike Branch
NSCSA #7

First National was 74-75 have competed in Style Accuracy, 4-way, 8-way and 10 way now am back to doing the classic events. Only missed a few thru the years. It just doesn't get any better than the Nationals. Good competition to get/keep the jucies going and visiting with old friends. Love it

You're right, that is Phil; except to me he is Smitty, because I am Phil. That was a time when three of the best in Texas were Phil; very confusing when we had a "Philler" load...

Sparky

That is SO '70s :D

Here is a picture of the 1972 "Godfrogs" 4-way team. I see Marc Cohen from time to time, he works same place I do.

At the '72 Z-Hillls Turkey Meet, there was a mass exit of 162 people and a frog. A record for a mass exit at the time. For people, not frogs. The frog was C.G. Godgrog. The spot was increadably bad. REALLY bad considering that the exit altitude was about 5,000 ft. C.G. got out and opened. He was last seen drifting into the swamps where it was rumoured that he set up his kingdom and may still reign there to this day.

That story (with picture) is on the site linked above.

you might want to ask Pat Works about the time myself and Sally Parsons stopped in Chicago to visit overnight....particularly if he still has the picture that I left on his camera that morning I left....he may post it, and with my blessings....
Tuna......;)

I remember that mass jump, we had found a wonderful ex military pilot, Jim Haerer(sp) who directed the various pilots in the proper technique for formation flying....I was flying the 196 that day....one helluva drop as I remember...

Great photo. You just don't see that many official team photos with firearms anymore.;)

Reminds me of weekends at Spaceland with Dave Boatman...

Kevin K.