howardwhite

Airborne

Howard,
What sizr are those canopies? They look like 28 ft. Those guys must have been really tough to survive landings with equipment under such a small canopy. I wonder what the injury numbers were.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I wonder if para-troops were still jumping the old T-7 canopies back in 1953? I guess the openning shock was brutal.

That's a great picture of a C-119. I had around ten jumps out of them. The army was still jumping them in the early 70's.....

Thank you Howard, nice group of pictures.
It was a curiosity why the one parachute on the exit string was white and the others OD.
Leads me to wonder if there were any white T-10's out there.
It looked a bit large for a reserve.
Could have been the standard 28' maybe?
Have you any wisdom to add on that one picture?
And, by the by, I just wanted to send a nice "attaboy" over to you for your consistently good and unusual posts and incredible pictures of those days and of present, you certainly have a wealth of information and experience and are a wonderful asset to the board and us curious lurkers. I'd like to thank you for that.....
Tuna

Yes,they were T-7 28' trill canopys.the T-10 came into service in 1/54 with a few jumps on them in late 1953.The T-7 was the hardest opening shocks I ever had in my 50 years of jumping out of airplanes.And the aircraft are C-82's which were replaced by the C119 in 1950 at start of the Korean War.The C-82 was named the flying coffin because of all the crashes they had . The 82 only had 2000 hp and the 119 had 3000hp with G model having 3600hp (per engine)

POP

That's a great picture of a C-119.

Uh, I'm no expert, but that looks like a C-82. Where's Jack Gregory?!

Right here Hoop! Good catch.

C-82 Packet is correct.

At a glance it is hard to tell them apart. The key indicator for me is the different windshields. The C-82 has 4 flat panes across the front. The C-119 has two larger ones and a different angle. I couldn’t find a good enough photo of the C-119 to see if it has the same forward swept wings between the engine nacelles and the fuselage like the C-82.

...and you know why they hurt too poppenhager...28' flat circulars NOT in a deployment device of any kind (i.e. D-Bag etc.), but rather the pack tray was actually laced closed with quarter inch cotton in a big 'ole "U" as opposed to four pack tray flaps held closed in center of pack tray. Add to all this C-82's and C-119's (my aircraft during Jump School) flying along at near terminal velocity during exit. Yeah baby...its a wonder I only have CSS now. ***

Here hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend