JumpUpMyAss

Skydiving Midgets

Has anyone ever jumped with midgets?
Years ago there was one at the DZ but we got tired of helping him into the plane and he always spotted short.

Who trained him? Was his jumpmaster accused of "tossing midgets?" :)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I have not but I know a jumper that say's he has back in the day.Said they had three of them that frequented his DZ when the circus was in town.He said they could crank turns really fast because they were so short and had a surprisingly fast fall rate. Apparently they had little teeny B4 rigs that had been cut down and jumped Piglets. He said they stood them up every time but were always short of the landing area because they liked long spots.I don't think they should be refered to as midgets. They like to be called "Little People"

Are you aware that there is actually midget tossing competition. I know a guy that participates in it ( as a tosser) He said it is really catching on but is still underground due to the fear of the liberal media catching hold of it and causing a stir.

It would seem to present a difficult problem with fitting harnesses and gear to their bodies.
I'd wonder if they could physically withstand opening shock.
I do remember having some issues with small jumpers, those under 5'2" were often difficult to fit standard harnesses to.
Any riggers out there ever put a harness/rig on one of them??
Another thought as well, how much do they weigh?

Circus midgets always had bad attitudes and they stole stuff.
The midget jumper at our DZ wasn't half bad.
We gave him a short training course and fixed him up with a little 24' main and a little midget rig. It was funny to watch him practice his little midget PLFs, looked like an ewok from star wars. We'd have to help him on jump run because he couldn'r reach the step.
Once he got into RW it was even more fun. We'd build little 4 1/2 man stars. He'd get up on our backs and run around the star.

As far as midget tossing goes, I used to compete locally in the 70's but it was a very misunderstood sport. There's a lot more to it atn people think. Technique, strategy, getting to know your midget.

I have only seen one, in Parachutist a few years back. Never met any that jumped. I actually caught the photo by accident because of how the rig looked on the little dude, who was sit-flying. Talk about extremely short MLWs! :o

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've heard tell of a DZO in the Los Angeles area that is making a killing providing specialized training to midget skydivers. Not only does he train them he is also a master rigger and builds custom rigs to fit their tiny bodies. My understanding is that most of them jump an 80 sf square. Apparently all of these little people are getting skydive certified in hopes of landing a role in an upcoming movie about midget skydiving Elvis impersonaters in Las Vegas, set to begin filming in 2010 with a release date some time in 2011. I had the opportunity to visit this non USPA mom and pop outfit and observed some of their training. It was amazing to see all of these tiny bodies falling from the sky. They are actually quite good at it!! However, they suck at swooping. I saw alot of them crash and burn! You've got to give it to them, they are tough little boogers, they brush themselves off and get right back to it.

I've heard of this also. The word I get is that some less than honest individual who has a hole in the wall operation about 100 miles east of L.A out in the desert consisting of a ramshackle hanger and an old U6-A placed an ad in a LA paper for midgets that could skydive for an upcoming movie and said he would train them to skydive and get them a part in the movie for a fee. Apparently he was inundated with little people who are camped out in his hanger, for which he is charging a fee over and above what their cost is for skydiving training. There probobly won't be a movie but there is certainly going to be a lot of tiny skydivers coming into the sport.

That will cause some problems for jumpers as well as DZ owners. Midgets fly different -they are laterally unstable and hard to doc - if you hit them too hard they richochet off spinning and sqealing like a little piglet. Plus they throw off your depth perception - they look farther off than they really are. They're just hard to see. And forget about a wave off -they'll pull right in your face.
DZ owners won't make as much money when invaded by the midget men, everything is half price.
And then there is the midget orgies. I don't know if you've ever been to one of their midget parties but I have and it gets ugly.

Weren't there a bunch of midget skydivers in the movie 'Polar Bear Express'?

Or were they elves?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Yeah, I jumped with a midget once. We were doing a 4-way from a Cessna, and I exited last. I was a bit slow with the exit, so I had to really tuck & dive to get down to the formation. I came in too hot and hit him right in the back, funneling the load. He was jumping a Velo 96, so naturally he was last down flying that boat. Anyhow, when he finally gets down, he stalks up to me and squeaks, "I am not happy." I said, "Really? Which dwarf are you?"

Little midget togas man like pillow cases.

It gets nasty, this one midget, the omega midget leader turns out he's mean drunk. Short little bastard with a pecker the size of a baby's arm.

Hes up on the packing table swinging his meat around and nobody can get close enough to get him down.
Finally three of his little buddies tackle him looked like a midget meat ball.

I can certainly see how depth perception would be an issue when flying with tiny people, kinda like the opposite of those signs on rearview mirrors that read, "objects in this mirror are closer than they appear." They can fly their asses off when they are in a little people formation, but add a full sized jumper and that's where the issues begin. Can you imagine laying base for 5 midgets and when they come in it would be like being attacked by the flying monkeys from "Wizard of Oz"!!!