diver123

Awesome skydive!

This weekend Skydive Elsinore hosted the "Freefly Extravaganza". Although the weather wasn't all that great, we still managed to get a few good skydives in. One of which, was a 10 way hybrid that we setup with the help of Chris... Awesome skydive and a lot of fun, but the best part came just before opening! Dusty and I tracked off S. and SW respectively only to look down and see one of the local sail planes flying through our airspace! Well, it was probably about 300 yards due south, but it was very high (around 3k). Anyway, he ended up getting it on video and it looked awesome! Betcha the pilot and passenger got one hell of a show seeing two people in freefall buzz them at 130! Just thought I'd share a bit of my weekend with everyone! Oh yeah, first hybrid...Beer! Oops, thought I was in talkback...
"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

be careful 300 yrds is not a lot of distance the glider pilot should have known there was skydiving acitivity around and should have not been there you and your friend are lucky you didnt take out the sailplane!!!!! seconds count in this sport!
if ya can't dodge it RAM IT !!!!!!

This reminds me of a long-standing debate: "can gliders and skydivers operate safely at the same airport?'
The answer is yes, provided everyone agrees on procedures, follows procedures and flies with their eyes open.
I have seen gliders and skydivers share airspace over several Canadian and European airstrips. I have also seen a long-running feud over California City.

<<<around and should have not been there you and your friend are lucky you didnt take out the sailplane!!!!!
seconds count in this sport!>>>>
Where in the FAR's does it say that the glider should not have been there? The glider has every bit as much right to the airspace as the DZ does. You are supposed to look for traffic BEFORE you jump.

>the glider pilot should have known there was skydiving acitivity around and should have not been there . . .
Careful - you could even more easily say "the skydiver should have known there was glider activity around and should not have jumped." Elsinore has coexisted with a gliderport for many years now; every pilot there knows about the dropzone and most skydivers know about the gliderport. For the most part they have lived together peacefully.
-bill von

be careful 300 yrds is not a lot of distance the glider pilot should have known there was skydiving acitivity around and should have not been there you and your friend are lucky you didnt take out the sailplane!!!!! seconds count in this sport!

Hinckley share an airport with gliders. It works pretty well, there's good communication between pilots. Shared space means exactly that - SHARED. You can't say "the glider shouldn't have been there, it equally could've been the spot that was wrong.
Sharing space simply means that everyone needs to carefully check for traffic before getting out. Keep watching for traffic in freefall. Of course we should be doing this anyways...
It is fun on those days where we've got a eastern landing approach, you'll be under canopy flying a hundred feet beside the gliders landing.
Way cool.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999