Millstone

Mad River Glenn Para Ski Vermont 1961

In 1961 there was a Para Ski meet at Mad river Glenn ski area in Vermont. There are great pictures of T-10s landing in the Catamount bowl at the top of the mountain. They were timed from exit until they landed and skied to the bottom of the mountain. Winning time was 6 mins! The landing area was tight and conditions were boiler plate. Amazingly no one was hurt. Mad River Glenn has a unique and storied history and I am looking for more information on this singular event. I would love to talk to someone who participated in, or has direct knowledge of the event. It is possible we will hold such an event again in the near future. Thanks in advance for any info. Sincerely, Mike M.

Hi Travis, it blows my mind they had this event there but it is definitely true. We know D-1 was there and Howard is going to be talking to some of these guys for us. I am looking forward to the details. You are certainly in. Lets go make some turns and check it out. :)

Ironically the last time I saw Bill Ottley was at a Para Ski race in Great Barrington, MA on my oldest daughter's eighth birthday (she's now 35).

I retired from jumping years ago but skiing and boarding are my passions today. I'm heading for Steamboat in a couple weeks to defend my titles.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

That's pretty impressive Pat. Have you ever skied Mad River? Maybe you can un-retire and do some para ski with us! I assume you know of Mad River so you will have to leave your snowboard at home. :) Good luck in Steamboat. I hope you make it back to back titles. Very cool.

That's pretty impressive Pat. Have you ever skied Mad River? Maybe you can un-retire and do some para ski with us! I assume you know of Mad River so you will have to leave your snowboard at home. :) Good luck in Steamboat. I hope you make it back to back titles. Very cool.

Thanks. I've never been to MRG but have done a few races at Sugarbush. With Taos lifting the snowboard ban, only Deer Valley, Alta, and Mad River are holdouts.

Nope, I'm permanently retired from jumping.

Repeating at Steamboat will be very tough. The competition is strong. If I can make the podium in both events I'll be ecstatic.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!