jdthomas

craigs list find of the evening

Picked this one up here in KC, now comes the time when we go to resident historian Howard White for more info.
Giant blue cargo chute, still in origional box, box has secondary liner made of a slick thin cardboard material.
the parachute has no vent in the top and at the end of the canops where the lines would attach there is but a loop that will make for nice handles if I decide to use this as a packing shade.
the canopy seems to be all cotton and is very heavy.

so Howard, jerry or any other canopy guy, what is it?
www.greenboxphotography.com

That's a G-13. It's a cargo parachute - they were made in different colors so the type of supplies that were dropped could be color-coded, e.g. red for medical supplies, etc. I had to test on them in Rigger school and I had to pack them once for contingency stock cycles. I couldn't begin to remember how to pack one . . . it's been about 23 years since I've even seen one (they are no longer in service).
Arrive Safely

John

I knew that Howard would eventually reply!

Thanks to all of you that beat him to the info though.

I think that this will be a fun project for a shade shelter, I need to get some poles or pole, get some rope and stakes and have a fun shade shelter for packing while at those pesky boogie type evnts.

Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Great for shade. Seen them used for ops and pleasure alot at Bragg. Last one i seen used for shade was at Leapfest in 84 on Bragg. Would love to have one if you ever decide to get rid of it. Probabl;y some others on here that can remember the pole combination borrowed from GP Med/larges we used to use.
"You can't teach what you don't know and you can't lead where you won't go"

Hi howard,

Believe it or not, I have a life

Ok, I don't believe you. :S

Once around late 60's or early 70's I was at Security Parachute. Dan Abbott was showing me around & they were making something on the order of 10,000 small parachutes for dropping flairs at night. That was the real bread & butter for parachute companies in those days ( VietNam War-time ).

JerryBaumchen

PS) Once around '65 or so, Bruce Perry ( D-1544 & I'm D-1543; so I liked to give him a hard time about that little fact ) out of the Tri-Cities in Washington state ( at a competition here in the Portland-area ) jumped a 40+ ft cargo chute on a lark. That thing took forever to open and then a year or so to descend.

Hi howard,

Once around late 60's or early 70's I was at Security Parachute. Dan Abbott was showing me around & they were making something on the order of 10,000 small parachutes for dropping flairs at night. That was the real bread & butter for parachute companies in those days ( VietNam War-time ).

JerryBaumchen

PS) Once around '65 or so, Bruce Perry ( D-1544 & I'm D-1543; so I liked to give him a hard time about that little fact ) out of the Tri-Cities in Washington state ( at a competition here in the Portland-area ) jumped a 40+ ft cargo chute on a lark. That thing took forever to open and then a year or so to descend.

I have a parachute in the closet that a friend from church gave me. He had been cleaning out the garage of his parents after his dad passed away and thought of me being a skydiver and decided I might have some interest in it.

It was not made for skydiving, but the little research I gleaned shows it was probably made for dropping depth charges from a military plane over water. I'll have to get it out, unfurl it and take a picture of the hard-board line organizer (or whatever it's called) that has info stamped on it. It was just a small round white parachute, maybe 12 feet in diameter. I'll post a pic when I get around to it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My life, lately.
It was rainy all week. Tornadoes in Rhode Island and New Hampshire.
Wednesday was geek day. Stood in line for 90 minutes but succeded in buying an iPhone G3:)Thursday I finished a long article for Parachutist, wrote another shorter one, and finished and distributed a PIA news release about Symposium 2009 in Reno.
Today the rain stopped, it has been dry, blue skies, nice temperatures and light winds. I made three Super Otter jumps from 13.5 over beautiful Orange, MA.;)
So how's your life?

HW