moodyskydiver

have ?s need answers ASAP.Please Help!

How did the 173rd Airborne get into northern Iraq in 2003?

Hi Piper

We saw a news video of a jump into northern Iraq it appeared to me that there was no opposition and maybe another mission accomplished photo op.

OTOH the rangers that jumped into panama were jumping into a hot LZ. A Ranger from Ft Lewis (that also jumped at Kapow) that was on the jump in panama had one of his risers shot off (close to the ground). In addition to being award the combat jump wings he was also awarded at least a purple heart.

I'm guessing both jumps were probably considered "combat jumps" and all the jumpers got award their combat jump wing. But IMO we're comparing apples and oranges.

FWIW I was a enlisted swine air force puke and only had to open the paratroop doors on C-130E's on jump run for the airborne.

R.I.P.

How did the 173rd Airborne get into northern Iraq in 2003?

Hi Piper

We saw a news video of a jump into northern Iraq it appeared to me that there was no opposition and maybe another mission accomplished photo op.

I would not call that a "combat" jump because the Kurds (backed by the United States Air Force) had kept Saddam's Army out of Northern Iraq for several years before the drop.