howardwhite

Canopies, ~1962

Not a clue.
Before my time.B|
I'll ask someone who might know. I think I've got another picture somewhere of the same/similar canopies.

HW

1.6oz LO-POs. That was a little before my time but 1 of the guys that taught me had one. Probably just used a military pattern and used a lower porosity fabric and had the modifications already worked in.
IIRC they were still right at $200, a lot of money back then. The PCs were $250 when they came on the market.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

Hi Terry,

As others have said, 1.6 Lo-Po's. I am not sure what you mean by 'wierd' skirt. When we modified cheapo's, we usually cut them right to the skirt; whereas Pioneer usually left about 12" of fabric right at the skirt.

They were available from Pioneer with mods or you could order them uncut and mod them yourself. [:/]

That tan color does not look correct in the first photo as I do not remember any 'tan' color. It might be white or the yellow from the 2nd photo.

You were some hot-sh*t jumper if you had a 1.6. B|

JerryBaumchen

In the first photo it looked like the skirt had some kind of "balloon" or "domed" fabric in the bottom panel. It may just have been the moment the photo was snapped. I think the color pattern also created that optical effect for me. Kind of does in the second photo too. But it's also been 20 years since I saw a partially inflated bias constructed canopy.:S The one I jumped 3 years ago was block constructed.;) And all but one of the military ones I have don't have lines.

As best as I could count in the first photo it looked like it might have had something like 40 gores. Must have been counting more than the half I thought was. The second photo I do remember seing before. I also think one of Poynter's books has a photo of one of these from above going into the bowl.

Hmm, I want one. But I'm too poor at the moment to buy more antiques even if I could find one. I'll have to settle for the 28' Phantom I hooked up as a main.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Pop

Yeah, I was surprised at how "conservative" these modifications were. Attached is a picture identified as Nona Pond and probably at the '62 World Meet or maybe '63 at the latest. Nona (now Nona King) still lives near Orange-- I saw her at the DZ a couple of weeks ago.
The other picture is another version of the original one I posted. It was a postcard published by PI and this one also includes a cheapo.
I'm inclined to think the black and gold canopy on the right is a Golden Knights canopy.

HW

Hi howard,

Well, that is probably before they went to the keyhole pattern; that is a typical diamond pattern; very popular back then.

The 'keyhole' pattern was that the entire canopy was black except for the very top panels ( all around the canopy ) were gold and then the entire rear gores ( where the mod would be at ), in their case 7 gores, were also all gold. If you were to look at it from the bottom or jumper viewpoint, the gold looked like a keyhole; as in very old-timey keyhole.

JerryBaumchen